Cen-Tech 1000W Inverter Questions

Page 2 of 2

I agree - the HF inverter is a square wave inverter, not a true sine wave inverter. You might try a few other motors with similar draw and see how they work before assuming you have a defective inverter.
On Sat, 24 May 2014 15:42:21 -0500, Vic Smith

The typical 100 amp alternator will burn out in as little as 20 minutes at full load. Just look at the guage of the wiring in the alternator stators if you want to know why!!!! My dad, an electrician, ran his 1/2" drill and when necessary his skill saw off a belltronics converter installed on his old Dodge Van. Note it was NOT an inverter - it produced 120vdc directly from the alternator so there was never more than about 15 imps involved.
He got more "power" ot of the 38 amp Mopar alternator than you would get out of a 1000 watt inverter on a 100 amp alternator
I was also involved in the setup of an "off grid" system in Burkina Faso, west africa about 14 years ago. We converted from 12 to 24 volts with Xantrex tue-sine inverters and were able to run 2 inverters (1000 watts each) instead of just one, on lighter cable with less voltage drop and a whole lot less problems with primary connections due to the reduced current draw. This was a solar system, with emergency charging capability using the Toyota Diesel. - which was never required.
So I think I know what I'm doing.
On Sat, 24 May 2014 22:04:06 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Like I said, you have to know what you're doing. You never pull 100 amps. Typical fridge pulls 3 amps running the compressor. That's 33 12v amps, assuming 120v AC, but only when running the compressor. Throw in some amps for lights, you're still ok. It's a viable emergency power source for some folks. Plenty of examples of people who do it.
On Saturday, May 24, 2014 11:56:46 PM UTC-4, Vic Smith wrote:

Not the typical fridge in the last 3 decades. Before replacing my old Frigidaire I used a Kilowatt meter to measure it. It pulled 180W. The new replacement pulls 90W. I also saw similar ~90W number from a 8 year old fridge and also a freezer at a friends house during Sandy.
That's 33 12v amps, assuming 120v AC, but only when running the

More like one quarter to half that.

On Sat, 24 May 2014 22:56:46 -0500, Vic Smith

And plenty of GM alternators failed trying it. And you underestimate the power required by a refrigerator. A 16cu ft frost free refrigerator draws an average 724 watts. That's a LOT more than 3 amps.
The statement was people can "run their house" on a 1000 watt inverter run off the car battery. 60 watts for a tv (or more) plus a few 60 watt room lights - you have 300 watts in no time, then the fridge comes on. Or you attempt to run your furnace. (another 500 to 800 watts). The 1000 watt inverter is going to be running pretty close to it's limit - and so is the 100 amp alternator.
If you want short term, extremely limited power at very low efficiency, run your car engine at idle to charge your 12 volt battery to run your inverter. Much farther ahead to just buy a cheap 1000 or 2000 watt generator and siphon the gas out of your car to run it. The generator can be purchaced for less money than a decent 1000 watt inverter.
And I know how to SNIP

Make certain to run the exhaust into the kitchen for cooking purposes.
--
Tekkie

replying to DerbyDad03, Tony944 wrote: Dealing with inverters can be puzzle some from what I know. There is big difference in construction of them most of them are rated for resistive load not inductive which make big difference, you would need to put on it 1000W. of resistive load to really know what is what.
replying to DerbyDad03, Tony944 wrote: Use lamp in combine with pump. some solid state devices do not like inductive load, by use of incandescent bulb in parallel that can cure the problem.
On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 1:44:04 PM UTC-4, Tony944 wrote:

Thanks for the update, but you are replying to a question that I asked over 2 years ago. The inverter has been gathering dust in my garage as I no longer need it. A jump-starter unit and 12V air mattress pump serves my purposes just fine, in fact even better, since it is more portable.