Cement placer

This is for the OP.

I have though about this off and on without judging the quality of what you want to do.

Cut the darned hole however you can. Place the unit in place but do not secure it yet. Cut 4 rectangles of lightweight plywood, I would use 1/4" Luan as it rots quicker, that will cover the gaps on the outside of the building and not block the operation of the fan. Drill a hole or two in each depending on the size and dangle them on the side of the using a heavy string or wire. Secure the fan. Pull the panels into place to form and exterior form for your mortar. Secure them to something inside. You may want to have a inside piece of plywood that covers most of the void on the inside.

Then use a grout bag to fill the void with mortar. You will not be able to do it all in one shot, but over a period of a few days you can fill in the voids. Cut off the string or wire on the inside and finish the wall. The exterior portion will rot and fall off the building in 1-5 years depending on the climate.

Reply to
Colbyt

Hey...Bub stick to guns!

The fan needs to be exactly where it is: inside the sleeve which runs through the outside wall.

Reply to
knuckle-dragger

Yes they have. The "straw" is far too short but more importantly I doubt the life of foam is anywhere close to that of mortar. It's like comparing a vinyl- or wood-clad house with a stone of brick one.

Reply to
knuckle-dragger

Sheesh and someone accused me of presenting a Rube Goldberg solution! But all of this is really my fault. I should have simply phrased the original question as follows:

"I have some small horizontal holes (less than one inch diameter) approximately 12 inches long (or deep). The holes are not perfectly concentric. I need to position mortar at the end of the hole and tamp it in position until the hole is filled. What inexpensive device can I use to do this?

Note:

- I'm not going to tell you why the holes exist, simply that they can't be enlarged, nor shortened, nor accessed from anyway but one direction.

- The gadget/tool must be available commercially, preferably at my local HD or Lowes, but since I've already checked there without success I'm expanding my search to this group.

- Any solution that involves renting something or employing someone is wrong.

- Any solution involving the placement of any substance other than mortar is wrong.

- Please read the question carefully."

I'll know better in future.

Reply to
knuckle-dragger

I think you might be joking. In case you're not, use a piece of dowel to push the mortar from your hawk into the hole. I've used dowels, sticks and steel rod stock to jam mortar into holes. Whatever fits. The mortar doesn't care.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

You can even rent a hawk and hire a day worker to do the job. Instead of mortar, I'd use some synthetic material, a mix of glass bead and epoxy, maybe even urethane adhesive.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Still. eh?

By the time you get about six inches filled you won't be able to push anymore in. The mortar is not liquid enough to be easily pushed at such small diameters. Note also that the original post said "The holes are not perfectly concentric." (i.e. round)

In shallow holes it works fine.

Note that you continue to violate the terms of the question.

Reply to
knuckle-dragger

Sounds like you never worked with mortar. You should try it. Even stiff mortar is easily pushed into holes. Doesn't matter if the hole is "perfectly concentric." Sweet Jesus.

You think 12 inches is deep?

I never signed your bullshit contract.

--Vic

Reply to