Cement grinding question

Due to clay/water expansion, the concrete slab forming our patio is rising just enough to impinge on the stucco slab siding of the house, causing it to crack.
I'm thinking of getting some kind of power grinder and take off 1/2 inch of the concrete slab's edge.
Any thoughts on this? What kind of tools and grinder will I need. Probably rent them, right?
Thanks
Kurt Gavin wrote:

I think you rent a grinder somthing like this: http://www.stihl.us/construction/TS400.html

I think that is a cocrete saw not a grinder.

It seemed at first both would apply..clarity needed. -- Oren
Oren wrote:

OK, you got me on the terminology. Nevertheless, I think this saw is what Kurt needs to slice 1/2' off of the edge of his slab. He will need to slice all the way through the slab with one smooth cut. I am pretty sure that's what what he has in mind and that tool will do it.
Lawrence

I just didn't want the employees at the tool rental to give him a funny look when he asked for a cement grinder.
Lawrence wrote:

the part next to the wall, and put in a pressure treated or cedar 2x4. Then seal with silicone. After that is done comes the hard part. Put a drain around the pad and get rid of the water.
All in all, I think it would work well, but would be a dirty, dusty weekend of annoying the neighbors. So plan a BBQ afterwards and invite them over.
For getting in close to the wall, you'd probably be OK with a 4.5" angle grinder with a diamond blade. I'm assuming you don't need to slice off the full depth of the slab. It sounds like you would be making a chamfer on the top edge of it. I would get a cheap grinder from Harbor Freight (and the diamond blade too), because the dust will likely shorten the lifespan considerably of the grinder. Also get a serious dust mask.
Bill

Just curious. After performing this grinding, won't you then have a bevel in the slab towards the house to which could catch & channel water against the foundation / stucco?
Kurt Gavin wrote:

I believe neither of these to be your answer because you are still going to have movement either up fruther or back down sooner or later. I dont know what you solution is because I would need to see where it is touching and its surroundings but I do know this. Taking 1/2" off of a concrete surface is not done with any machine available for homeowners to rent. Taking this amount off is a monumental task believe it or not, even with the best Terazzo grinder you would spend enough in pads to pour a whole new slab.
Kurt Gavin wrote:

Italian Mason wrote:

That concrete saw can be rented, in the U.S. It will take some patience, but it will do the job.
Taking this amount off is a monumental task
To call it monumental is an over statement. We are talking about a patio here, not a driveway.
believe

I believe that part. Can you provide a link to such a grinder? What type of pad will compare to a diamond blade??

No, I'm talking about lowering the EDGE of the patio slab that is beneath the stucco, not the whole patio.

Kurt Gavin wrote:

Can you post a picture of the slab where it meets the stucco. How old is the slab. The patio should have been poured at least 1" below the stucco screed.