Cement Driveways and Your Property Tax

i am considering a cement driveway, but was told by a friend that in doing so, would increase my property tax in new york. his reasoning is that it would be concidered a "perminant addition". has anyone heard such a thing?

thank you in advance for your time and input...

Reply to
Loz2386

it is, here. a concrete driveway is taxed, but an asphalt one is not (I'm in the midwest US).

best way to find out is to visit your local assessor and ask for the criteria they use. here, it's on the property card. metal awning, concrete pad, etc - all facets of your property are considered in order to milk as much money as possible from you.

Reply to
roger61611

Hi, Tax is based on property value. Drive way will increase the value. Any addition will.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Never heard of it. Anything that increases the value of your home will thus increase the tax bill, but I've never heard of a differentiation specific for driveway materials. You may want to ask your tax assessor, because your town may have some quirky laws the rest of us never heard of.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I can't speak for your particular area, but in this area, also in NY, a brick walkway in sand is valued less than a brick walkway on concrete, so it stands to reason that a concrete driveway would be taxed at a higher rate. Talk to the powers that be and find out exactly how much the concrete driveway would raise your taxes so you can make an informed decision.

RicodJour

You could do a cement driveway, and cover it, periodically, w/ 1/16" of asphalt. Who'll know??

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Hmmm, Looks like you hate corruption but like cheating covering concrete drive way with ashpalt?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hmmmm.... You know how to use pyooters, but you cain't think a single move ahead in a chess game. Well, here's the move: Tax-collecting municipalities are run by corrupt Dems/Repubs, who f*ck every man woman and child clear up to the ileocecal valve each and every day. And who get drunk at the end of the day, and laugh 'til their dizzy over the whole ass-f****ng process. To them, it's hilarious.

It thus deeply pains me to give them 1c beyond what is "actually owed", civically. Which is proly only about 1/3 of the taxes they are already collecting. So I figger they owe me, at this point, about $250,000--penalties, donchaknow.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

I've heard that here in MN, asphalt is considered 'temporary' but concrete 'permanant', so there is a tax difference.

Seems odd to me -- our last driveway, which we just replaced, was 25 years old, and could have lived on -- we wanted it a bit wider so we went ahead and replaced it. Otherwise with a little TLC the old one could have made it another 5 years at least.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

You never know what the locals are going to do and need to talk to them. If hiring a contractor, I'd ask him. If it is a new driveway and requires a building permit (should not need a building permit to repair an old one), I'd be wary that it might add to your tax base.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

What makes you think a driveway contractor knows anything about how property tax valuations are done? If he's going to ask, he should ask the local tax assessor.

If it is a new driveway

Reply to
trader4

I agree with the above person who wrote this:

"all facets of your property are considered in order to milk as much money as possible from you. "

Reply to
scott21230

In NJ if a concrete structure touches the foundation of your house, it will be considered a permanant structure, and thus your taxes will go up. So, if you build a shed with concrete floor, your taxes don't increase. If you have a brick patio, that won't increase your taxes either. If you have a concrete patio, that won't increase your taxes as long as it doesn't touch the foundation... go figure!

So, you can get creative and get a c> i am considering a cement driveway, but was told by a friend that in

Reply to
shoaib.m.chaudhry

'Round here, the assessor gets a copy of every building permit. A new driveway increases the value of your home, but not by much. Divide the cost of the driveway ($3000 ?) by the value of your house ($300,000 ?), that's 1%, so figure a 1% increase in that example. Plug in your own numbers. S
Reply to
mrsgator88

Well, a cement driveway would not last too long. I suggest a concrete driveway though.

Reply to
ephedralover

you ought to run for a government post, since you seem to have no better thing to do than glog up intelligent discussion with your filth, and hide behind a pseudonym so you family does have to hang it''s head in shame.

either put up or shut up. don't like the government? get on the ballot.

Reply to
Tater

Who said it was a pseudonym????

Actually, my family is encourag> Hmmmm....

you ought to run for a government post, since you seem to have no better thing to do than glog up intelligent discussion with your filth, and hide behind a pseudonym so you family does have to hang it''s head in shame.

either put up or shut up. don't like the government? get on the ballot.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Yeah, and when talking to the tax man, or anyone else in fukn gummint, use a pay phone.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Hilarious. Plus, a lotta towns are now being re-assessed in NJ. Not so hilarious.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Avoid permits at almost all costs. Viva Clinton: Don't ask, don't tell. Not the big deal in house selling that some make it--unless some asshole goes out of their way to make it a big deal. Always a gamble. Know yer risk aversion.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®