cement board under bathtub

There's mold under my cast iron bathtub so I'm going to pull it out into the next room to redo the subfloor. The bathtub is resting on 1/4" plywood over the subfloor. I'd like to replace the plywood with something that doesn't grow mold. Would 1/4" cement tile backer board do? The bathtub weighs about 350 pounds and half that weight would be resting on the 5/16" thick edge of the cast iron apron. Would cement board under a lot of pressure crumble over time? Or some other material? thanks Laura

Reply to
Graven Water

How did you figure that there is mold under the tub, which most people never see!!! No Mold grows because of moisture, is it on an outside wall, is it a contractor telling you, it could be condensation causing it and your contractor is a crook and its normal for your design which is defective in itself. You are jumping to conclusions.

Reply to
ransley