Cell phone scanners

Page 1 of 2
I have heard that scanners have the cell phone frequencies locked out by law. I have also heard that some folks have scanners that pick up cell phone conversations.
Just wondering if law enforcement and maybe even firefighters have scanners that pick up phone conversations on cell phones?

FBI needs wire tap permission from the DOJ for both land lines and cell phones.
DJay
Even though it is a law which is rather impractical to enforce, it is illegal for anybody to listen in on cell phone conversations. This includes police and firefighters.
======== Blue wrote in message ... I have heard that scanners have the cell phone frequencies locked out by law. I have also heard that some folks have scanners that pick up cell phone conversations.
Just wondering if law enforcement and maybe even firefighters have scanners that pick up phone conversations on cell phones?
Gideon wrote:

I hear 1/2 of cell phone conversations all the time... even when I don't want to. Where do I turn myself in?
Steve 41N
It will soon be academic. Cell phones are going digital. Each phone has a digital key to decode the stuff sent to it, A regular scanner would need a lot of keys to un-digitize (sp) the voices.
This is not done to eliminate scanners but to increase effective bandwidth. However, the side effect is newer style cell phones can't be understood by scanners.
Stretch

Yea, ABOUT TEN YEARS AGO!
Each phone has a digital key to decode the stuff sent to it. BULLSHIT!
A regular scanner would need a lot of keys to un-digitize (sp) the voices. MORE BS!

Craven Morehead,
NO, NOT BS. I have a Nextel. When I talk, the speech is digitized, then broadcast as data to a Nextel repeater. It is then rebroadcast over the network as data with a header identifying the Nextel phone that it is going to. All the Nextel phones on the network receive the data. Only the intended recipient phone decodes the data back into speech, the other nextel phones discard that data. It works that way for direct connect (Walkie Talkie) and true phone traffic. A scanner can recieve the data, and play it over the speaker, but it sounds like FAX tones and static.
If my call is going to a land line phone, it is decoded into speech at the repeater and broadcast over land lines as voice data. The scanner does not pick up the land line signal, therefore can not listen in.
The older cell phones, like the one my wife has, are still analog. A scanner CAN recieve and play that as voice over the speaker. Her phone is not secure. Eventually, dur to lack of available radio frequencies, ALL cell phones will have to go digital. When she gets her next phone, it will be capable of working in both modes, analog AND digital. When the service provider changes their system to digital, she will never know. Only those with analog ONLY phones will have to get new phones. Many, but not all, providers have changed to digital in our area.
By the way, you need to improve your vocabulary. If BULLSHIT is the only way you can express yourself, you need help. There is a section in the Reader's Digest called "It Pays To Increase Your Word Power". I suggest that you start using it.
Stretch
PS Of course the NSA can recieve Nextel and all other cell phone traffic, but regular people cannot.

Not quite, but nice try.
Wake up! Most cell phones have been digital for over a decade. Analog was the old AMPS system and it didn't work very well. CDMA, TDMA, GSM, are all digital have all been around and widely deployed for a long time by all the carriers.
You're the one needs to wake up: Installed Base does not come anywhere near equating to current sales, which still includes both a, d, and duals. If you want privacy, do NOT use a phone of any kind. Oh, and just because YOU have a digital connect, does not mean your called party does. I'd explain further but you're obviously closed minded and not worth the typing.

"If my call is going to a land line phone, it is decoded into speech at
the repeater and broadcast over land lines as voice data. The scanner does not pick up the land line signal, therefore can not listen in. "
Cell phone systems do not use "repeaters." as they aren't repeating anything. They use cell sites which serve as the interface between the wireless system and the land based system. For most calls handled today, the entire process is a digital one. It's digital from the cell phone to the cell phone site and it's also digital on it's journey across land lines.
"The older cell phones, like the one my wife has, are still analog. A scanner CAN recieve and play that as voice over the speaker. Her phone
is not secure."
Most cell phones in use today are already digital. Most carriers have moved their customers to digital phones by offering plans that offer benefits like better coverage, lower prices, etc. that are only avail if you have a digital phone. And none of these phones are secure either. It's true that these calls are harder to listen in on, but nothing is being done to specifically encrypt the signal to make it secure. The signal processing is done with the intent of cramming as many calls into the bandwith as possible. A side benefit is that a different receiver would be needed to listen in, but nothing is there to specifically encrypt it for security, which is what would be required to make it secure.

I have a female friend that has come to think her digital cell phone calls are being intercepted by her ex who is a fireman and whose near relative lives within just a few feet away.
Anyway to stop this or at least detect it for sure?
Is equipment necessary to do this readily available or easy for a ham radio enthusiast to modify?
Detect it? Heck no.
I'm going to hazard a wild, naive, outlandish guess... but I would suppose that maybe the fairly sophisticated equiptment you'd need to intercept and decode digital cell calls is NOT being handed out to all firemen. And their relatives.
Of course, her fireman ex's near relative living on her porch does not help.
But now really -- eavesdropping is quite easy, esp. living so close. You can buy cheap directional microphones that listen in at pretty amazing ranges. If you know where to look, you can build or buy cheap equiptment that can listen through windows, etc, too. And listening in on your neighbors like this would all be illegal.
-K
It's more likely that someone with a scanner is hearing the conversation by monitoring the land line party's "cordless" phone. While the newer ones use digital techniques, there are many analog ones in use that can still be received with a scanner. This also violates federal law, fwiw.

old scanners can pick up analog cell phones (but not legal) new scanners cannot tune to the cell frequencies
there is no hobby type scanner that I know of old or new that can receive a digital cell phone, , yes the old ones can tune to the frequency and pick up the signal but all you will hear is static, the voice is encoded as digital data
I'm sure the feds etc have the technology to listen to whatever they want to.
Mark

Nearest mental institution.

================I have this problem also.....lol... Frustrating FOR me trying to listen to the National Weather Service to hear Sally tell Jane she really likes Johnny...
Bob Griffiths

to SELL scanners that can pick up cell phones (although cracks for older models, at least, are all over the internet), and it is illegal to disclose or profit from intercepted cell communications, it is not illegal to LISTEN to them, since they are not encrypted, and you aren't stealing any services. (like when bootlegging encrypted sat signals.) There are still a whole lot of un-blocked pre-ECPA scanners out there, and it is kinda hard to outlaw use of a legal device after it is out in the world. Don't know if the 'expectation of privacy' principle that governs needing a warrant applies- IIRC, there is case law that wiretap warrants were not needed if neighbors overheard baby monitors and the early cordless phones, and what the neighbors told the cops was sufficent probable cause for a physical search warrant. Don't think the cops were allowed to go around war-driving with baby monitors in their cars, though.
But IANAL, and it has been a few years since I read the act, so I may be wrong.... I'm sure the actual experts over in the rec.radio or alt.telecom groups would know for sure.
aem sends...

Do your comments apply to analogue only or to digital as well?
Code of Federal Regulations, Title 47, Part 68, covers both digital and analog, not a quote, paraphrased,
It IS illegal to eavesdrop and/or record on ANY electronically transmitted voice communication and/or to disclose same.
message