Cell phone scanners

I have heard that scanners have the cell phone frequencies locked out by law. I have also heard that some folks have scanners that pick up cell phone conversations.

Just wondering if law enforcement and maybe even firefighters have scanners that pick up phone conversations on cell phones?

Reply to
Blue

FBI needs wire tap permission from the DOJ for both land lines and cell phones.

DJay

Reply to
djay

Even though it is a law which is rather impractical to enforce, it is illegal for anybody to listen in on cell phone conversations. This includes police and firefighters.

=========

Just wondering if law enforcement and maybe even firefighters have scanners that pick up phone conversations on cell phones?

Reply to
Gideon

"Blue" wrote in news:d6e7ms$vrv$ snipped-for-privacy@zook.lafn.org:

Yes, they listen all the time. None of them are going on any emergency calls. When you see any fire truck, they're simply cruising for cell phone calls. Same with police and ambulances.

Reply to
wdude

I hear 1/2 of cell phone conversations all the time... even when I don't want to. Where do I turn myself in?

Steve

41N
Reply to
Steve IA

It will soon be academic. Cell phones are going digital. Each phone has a digital key to decode the stuff sent to it, A regular scanner would need a lot of keys to un-digitize (sp) the voices.

This is not done to eliminate scanners but to increase effective bandwidth. However, the side effect is newer style cell phones can't be understood by scanners.

Stretch

Reply to
stretch

Nearest mental institution.

Reply to
JerryL

Yea, ABOUT TEN YEARS AGO!

Each phone has a digital key to decode the stuff sent to it. BULLSHIT!

A regular scanner would need a lot of keys to un-digitize (sp) the voices. MORE BS!

Reply to
Craven Morehead

================= I have this problem also.....lol... Frustrating FOR me trying to listen to the National Weather Service to hear Sally tell Jane she really likes Johnny...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Craven Morehead,

NO, NOT BS. I have a Nextel. When I talk, the speech is digitized, then broadcast as data to a Nextel repeater. It is then rebroadcast over the network as data with a header identifying the Nextel phone that it is going to. All the Nextel phones on the network receive the data. Only the intended recipient phone decodes the data back into speech, the other nextel phones discard that data. It works that way for direct connect (Walkie Talkie) and true phone traffic. A scanner can recieve the data, and play it over the speaker, but it sounds like FAX tones and static.

If my call is going to a land line phone, it is decoded into speech at the repeater and broadcast over land lines as voice data. The scanner does not pick up the land line signal, therefore can not listen in.

The older cell phones, like the one my wife has, are still analog. A scanner CAN recieve and play that as voice over the speaker. Her phone is not secure. Eventually, dur to lack of available radio frequencies, ALL cell phones will have to go digital. When she gets her next phone, it will be capable of working in both modes, analog AND digital. When the service provider changes their system to digital, she will never know. Only those with analog ONLY phones will have to get new phones. Many, but not all, providers have changed to digital in our area.

By the way, you need to improve your vocabulary. If BULLSHIT is the only way you can express yourself, you need help. There is a section in the Reader's Digest called "It Pays To Increase Your Word Power". I suggest that you start using it.

Stretch

PS Of course the NSA can recieve Nextel and all other cell phone traffic, but regular people cannot.

Reply to
stretch

old scanners can pick up analog cell phones (but not legal) new scanners cannot tune to the cell frequencies

there is no hobby type scanner that I know of old or new that can receive a digital cell phone, , yes the old ones can tune to the frequency and pick up the signal but all you will hear is static, the voice is encoded as digital data

I'm sure the feds etc have the technology to listen to whatever they want to.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

-------- You'll find this interesting:

Abe

Yes, they do, depending. I myself have an old Uniden that picks them up because it predates the regs. They're a nuisance though, more than anything else; I have the scanner skip the entire bands. There are many ways to also accidentally listen in on cell phone calls; it happens on evrything form walkie talkies to stereo systems of the cheapier variety. Also, the newer greqs being sold off and spread spectrum finally getting bigger, listening is going down a lot.

Law Enforcement can only intentionally listen in on a phone call by court order and then there are regs on what they must hear in the firs xx seconds before they can listen longer. Lots of rules. But, that doesn't stop your next door neighbor, with the same phone, from accidentally picking yours up at times, even thougth it won't happen oftern.

Never consider any kind of communication "private": They just aren't. Except for spread spectrum, it's real easy to get hold of cell phone signals with a simple PLL design at most any experimenter's bench.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Should work on older analog phones. May receive data from digital phones, but you won't be able to understand it.

Stretch

Reply to
stretch

While reading this group I can hear all your cell conversations. I record each and every one of them. They'll be put on CD and sold at WalMart.

Reply to
wdude

Not quite, but nice try.

Reply to
Mark

Try impossible to enforce. And if I remember ECPA correctly, it is illegal to SELL scanners that can pick up cell phones (although cracks for older models, at least, are all over the internet), and it is illegal to disclose or profit from intercepted cell communications, it is not illegal to LISTEN to them, since they are not encrypted, and you aren't stealing any services. (like when bootlegging encrypted sat signals.) There are still a whole lot of un-blocked pre-ECPA scanners out there, and it is kinda hard to outlaw use of a legal device after it is out in the world. Don't know if the 'expectation of privacy' principle that governs needing a warrant applies- IIRC, there is case law that wiretap warrants were not needed if neighbors overheard baby monitors and the early cordless phones, and what the neighbors told the cops was sufficent probable cause for a physical search warrant. Don't think the cops were allowed to go around war-driving with baby monitors in their cars, though.

But IANAL, and it has been a few years since I read the act, so I may be wrong.... I'm sure the actual experts over in the rec.radio or alt.telecom groups would know for sure.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Do your comments apply to analogue only or to digital as well?

Reply to
Blue

i been scannin or quite some time. you can pick them up if they use the 800 and 900 megahertz range.they used trunked system now witch means they change frequencies every few minutes so you cn her em till they change... older home portable phones use the 40-50 mgz range . newer ones 900mgz.

Reply to
ds549

Code of Federal Regulations, Title 47, Part 68, covers both digital and analog, not a quote, paraphrased,

It IS illegal to eavesdrop and/or record on ANY electronically transmitted voice communication and/or to disclose same.

"ameijers" wrote in message news:0HSie.227571$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

Reply to
Pop