cell phone reception in a new house

Page 1 of 2
This may not be the right newsgroup so forgive me. I have a house that is about 3 years old. I know there is foil lined walls and roof (inside). As a result the cell phone reception in this house is very poor except for maybe one or two spots. Any way to get better coverage inside the house for the cell phone?
"drb" wrote in message

Use a repeater / booster. A bit pricey but very effective:
http://www.repeaterstore.com/products/repeaterkits/wi-ex/zboost-dual-band.html
There are cheaper units which also make an improvement, but you will need to research various products and pricing based on your specific circumstances.
Hope this helps you,
Smarty

A "passive repeater" works well if you have a relatively strong signal. Basically 2 antennas - one inside and one outside, tied together with co-ax.
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 20:45:33 -0600, drb wrote:

I see people going outside to make a cell phone call. I think the best solution is to have a real (wired) phone.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

drb wrote:

The least expensive I've seen:
http://www.calcellular.com/ext-antenna.html
TDD
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 20:45:33 -0600, drb wrote:

Lot's of ways, from adding an external antenna to installing a short range repeater. What is possible in your particular situation depends on your phone and the frequency and technology used by your carrier.
Here's a place to start looking:
http://www.alternativewireless.com/improving-cell-phone-reception/index.html
You may want to try a different brand/model phone first. I'm found Motorola phones to have best weak signal performance. You're provider may allow you to try different phones before you buy one.
HTH,
Paul F.
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 22:30:15 -0500, Paul Franklin

That's if you can find a Motorola phone that works.My first (and last) motorola was back for repair/exchange 6 times before they lost it and replaced it with a new one. Daughter has a Razr or whatever they call them just about a year old and the battery doen't last 7 hours on standby.
I have been using, and satisfied with, Nokia phones for several years before and since the Motorola. (these are GSM phones)
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've come to dislike Motorola phones as well. I recently had to change to a Motorola Z6c "world edition" to get added GSM capability, and while it does generally work ok, I find I like it significantly less than the LG VX8-something-or-other it replaced.

There are repeaters sold for the purpose--they don't work very well and don't last very long and cost a ludicrous amount of money for what they are, but they do exist.
Google "cellular repeater" and you'll find a number of brands.
--John
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 23:41:11 -0500, "J. Clarke"

I just love when people spout opinion as fact.
I worked for a corporate cellular store. We installed one in our office, and installed a number at our customers sites. All worked flawlessly for at least the 7+ years I worked there, and as far as I know, are still going strong (I haven't worked there in 5+ years, so do the math).

Evan Platt wrote:

I work at a number of locations that have them installed and they work fine including the original installation of a similar age that you mentioned.

My experiences were also very favorable which is why I originally recommended the repeater approach. Those of us who are ham radio operators have used repeaters for decades with huge success to extend the range of little walky-talky pocket radios.
Smarty
Smarty wrote:

Agreed, they work, but the price will make OP cry. We priced one for use in a metal-skinned warehouse, and they STARTED around $700 for the entry-level model. Has OP ever thought of just using a Real Telephone at home?
-- aem sends...
Evan Platt wrote:

Do you have any experience with the passive repeaters? It's the same basic technology that has been used for many years to keep radios working in tunnels, mines and any type of structure that would tend to block or severely attenuate wireless communication.
TDD

Is there cheap passive stuff that works?
ransley wrote:

The least expensive I've seen:
http://www.calcellular.com/ext-antenna.html
TDD
Is you house lined with lead to stop Superman from looking inside your home?

What is best and cheapest, I have ATT 3g and my city wont allow the antennas needed so I often drop connection and go to non 3g at 1-2 bar with a new phone. My city doesnt want the "eyesore" of more antennas.

theres a federal law permitting tv and satellite dish antennas, a yagi cell antenna should fall in that law.
yagi cell antenna looks very close to a UHF tv antenna

Doesnt an antenna need some type of box or booster for cell phones. How does this get hooked up and operate, a tv you plug into an antenna, but a cell phone is being boosted so I would guess a reciever is needed.