cell phone reception in a new house

This may not be the right newsgroup so forgive me. I have a house that is about 3 years old. I know there is foil lined walls and roof (inside). As a result the cell phone reception in this house is very poor except for maybe one or two spots. Any way to get better coverage inside the house for the cell phone?

Reply to
drb

Use a repeater / booster. A bit pricey but very effective:

There are cheaper units which also make an improvement, but you will need to research various products and pricing based on your specific circumstances.

Hope this helps you,

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

I see people going outside to make a cell phone call. I think the best solution is to have a real (wired) phone.

Reply to
Jud McCranie

The least expensive I've seen:

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Lot's of ways, from adding an external antenna to installing a short range repeater. What is possible in your particular situation depends on your phone and the frequency and technology used by your carrier.

Here's a place to start looking:

You may want to try a different brand/model phone first. I'm found Motorola phones to have best weak signal performance. You're provider may allow you to try different phones before you buy one.

HTH,

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

A "passive repeater" works well if you have a relatively strong signal. Basically 2 antennas - one inside and one outside, tied together with co-ax.

Reply to
clare

That's if you can find a Motorola phone that works.My first (and last) motorola was back for repair/exchange 6 times before they lost it and replaced it with a new one. Daughter has a Razr or whatever they call them just about a year old and the battery doen't last 7 hours on standby.

I have been using, and satisfied with, Nokia phones for several years before and since the Motorola. (these are GSM phones)

Reply to
clare

I've come to dislike Motorola phones as well. I recently had to change to a Motorola Z6c "world edition" to get added GSM capability, and while it does generally work ok, I find I like it significantly less than the LG VX8-something-or-other it replaced.

Reply to
Pete C.

There are repeaters sold for the purpose--they don't work very well and don't last very long and cost a ludicrous amount of money for what they are, but they do exist.

Google "cellular repeater" and you'll find a number of brands.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I just love when people spout opinion as fact.

I worked for a corporate cellular store. We installed one in our office, and installed a number at our customers sites. All worked flawlessly for at least the 7+ years I worked there, and as far as I know, are still going strong (I haven't worked there in 5+ years, so do the math).

Reply to
Evan Platt

My house is much older but TV, radio and cell phone reception are all poor due to all the signals coming from the other side of the hill I live on. I go outside to use cell phone. No big deal as I still have copper lines.

Reply to
Frank

I just mounted my old trucker antenna while waiting for Verizon to put in a closer tower.
?pic=3D33oi650&s=3D4 -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

I work at a number of locations that have them installed and they work fine including the original installation of a similar age that you mentioned.

Reply to
George

My experiences were also very favorable which is why I originally recommended the repeater approach. Those of us who are ham radio operators have used repeaters for decades with huge success to extend the range of little walky-talky pocket radios.

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

I've seen them everywhere from $7 that looks like a piece of tape with gold pen marks on it to a base station with antenna and wires for $270.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Do you have any experience with the passive repeaters? It's the same basic technology that has been used for many years to keep radios working in tunnels, mines and any type of structure that would tend to block or severely attenuate wireless communication.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

When I moved I just changed cell phone providers and the new one worked fine.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Is you house lined with lead to stop Superman from looking inside your home?

Reply to
ktos

Is there cheap passive stuff that works?

Reply to
ransley

Agreed, they work, but the price will make OP cry. We priced one for use in a metal-skinned warehouse, and they STARTED around $700 for the entry-level model. Has OP ever thought of just using a Real Telephone at home?

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers