cell phone charger on 2nd power strip doesn't charge

Page 1 of 2
I have two power strips connected in serial. It is wall->strip A->strip B.
I have two Huawei cell phones, different models. When I plug phone A to strip B, the phone can charge. However, if I plug phone B to strip B, after overnight, the battery capacity is still zero (zero to start with).
If I plug phone A or B to strip A, it can charge.
In conclusion:
strip B can charge only phone A but not phone B. strip A can charge both phones.
Any explanation to this mystery? Thanks.
yyy378 wrote:

Are the strips identical ? Sounds like the plug prongs on charger b aren't making contact in the b strip .
--
Snag

On 25/07/2015 10:54, Terry Coombs wrote:

Sorry. I forgot to mention that I used the same charger for both phones which are of the same brand but different model number.
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 09:36:13 +0630, yyy378

Phone B is bad, or Phone B charger is bad.
Duh.
On 25/07/2015 11:39, micky wrote:

I use the same charger for both phones whether on strip A or B.
On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 2:23:20 AM UTC-4, yyy378 wrote:

Typically when charging phones have an indicator light or icon that shows it's charging. What does that show? I assume you've verified that other loads will work when plugged into B? Tried different receptacle spots on B?
On 25/07/2015 13:45, trader_4 wrote:

charging. However, after charging overnight, the battery still shows 0% and when I unplug the phone, it quickly goes dead.
When I use the same charger on the same strip B, same spot, to charge another phone, the percentage does go up, meaning it is actually charging.
On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 19:11:06 +0630, yyy378 wrote:
How about the USB cable connecting the charger to the phone? Is this integral with the charger or are you switching it with the phone?
Thane
On 25/07/2015 19:16, Thane wrote:

<stuff snipped>

Sounds like a dead battery in phone B. The indicators are often based on voltage and batteries can show good voltage under very light loads (like a metering circuit) but not have any real power to deliver when put under a real load.
--
Bobby G.

On 25/07/2015 19:46, Robert Green wrote:

to charge the phone B which I had thought having a dead battery.
wrote in message

Did it fully charge that battery, i.e. did it stay on for long after it was charged in strip A? Are you sure you're getting full power out of strip B? Did you measure it with a voltmeter?
Plugging in an unpowered charger into a device like a cell phone can give some squirrely results, at least based on what happens when the power fails in my house when the phone, laptop and a bunch of other gear is being charged.
One last question - are the plug blades on the charger polarized? I can't remember what allegedly unpolarized device I had that would not work correctly if it was plugged in upside-down (relatively speaking).
Other than that, I'm officially out of ideas. Sorry I couldn't help. I bought a USB charge monitor (and lots of adapters) so I could monitor the current flow into the device being charged. Helpful in situations like this and only cost $6. To diagnose this problem correctly I'd use those along with a DVM to measure the voltage at strip B. But remote diagnostics on a text-based system where you can't even draw a sketch easily - yes, I give up. (-:
I would recommend getting another power strip and seeing if it exhibits the same characteristics as the one you have now.
--
Bobby G.

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 12:40:47 -0400, "Robert Green"

Or if you're really dedicated to knowing the answer, and I gather that is the point of the thread, reversing strips a and b can be done right now.

Even quicker. I've found that power strips, particularly ones with filter circuits, can interact with each other. I've had some that block X-10 signals and it doesn't matter if A goes to B or B goes to A.
As I said to Trader, I am bowing out. Too many red flags and not enough interest, I guess. Without the proper tools on the OP's end like . . .
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1852 (USB Charger Doctor - recommended to me by someone here and INCREDIBLY useful for such situation. It tells you what voltage and amperage is actually reaching the charger. It's only $7.50 and no one who charges anything by USB should be without it.)
. . . there's going to be a lot of tail-chasing for little long-term or useful edification for me, anyway, because if I had such a problem I'd put the Charger Doctor on the case (no financial interest - just a very happy customer who saw similar items selling for $75.)
--
Bobby G.

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 17:18:04 -0400, "Robert Green"

I love gadgets like this, but how often do such situations really occur? Even in this case, I assume the OP is only academically curious, and that his practical problem is solved by using strip A, and that he knows this.

I want you to convince me to buy this, but then I see
plus xxx for shipping. SHIPPING (CALCULATED IN CHECKOUT), I hate that., Sure enough, they want my name, email, address, and PHONE before they'll tell me the shipping cost.
And then I see these and wonder if I shoudl buy these too!
USB Micro-B Breakout Board Simple but effective - this breakout board has a USB Micro-B connector, with all 5 pins broken out. ... $1.50
USB Cable with Switch Add a power switch to any USB-powered project simply by plugging this between the USB power port and ... $2.95 Is unplugging just as good as using this switch?

Wow. Okay the price is great, but do you really use it?
<stuff snipped>

Perhaps but it means less wear on the connectors which aren't as robust as they should be. Not something I would buy - well, maybe. I avoid over-taxing frequently used USB connectors by using short extension cords. This because I once plugged in a USB cable into an OTA DVR and push the USB jack right into the chassis. Not well anchored, as you can imagine. Effing up a USB port on a table, phone or laptop can be a real PITA and expensive to repair.

Yes. All the time. I have a few of them (got them with free Amazon Prime shipping but that URL was WAY too long to cite). I have them attached to my main phone charger and on the PCs I use to charge oddball items like cameras, MP3 players, etc.
They are good for telling when you're overloading your USB ports, too. Revealed that a Sansa clip player's battery was going bad because it was drawing way more current than before. It's helpful if you use it to take baseline measurements of chargeable gear so that you know what it should be. It also tells you how much juice your chargers can output (varies greatly) and if they're really within specifications. You'd be surprised at how many cheap Chinese chargers don't even meet the USB spec and are over or undervoltage by more than 2 volts. Also tells you the voltage under load as well as the amps being drawn by the chargee. (-:
--
Bobby G.

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 23:02:32 -0400, "Robert Green"

Okay, you've convinced me.
The breakout board is cheap but I'll probably never use it, and I could make one from the bad flashdrive I have.
The cord with the switch might be useful and it coincides with my fetish for adapters. i once tried to attach a switch to the flat grey indoor telephone wire that went to a headset, so I could answer the phone with it. Boy, was that hard, and when I was done, it was fragile. So maybe I should buy this.
As to shipping Mr. Monster, I barely know what to do with it, so quick shipping is not much of a plus. And Amazon has probably lost a customer since I've bought everything I need, practically, and the 35 dollar miiniimum is much harder to meet than $25 was. And membership, I'm not going to spend money to spend money. Save hundereds their new competitor, Jet says. That would require spending thousands, and I might spend 100 at most this year at places like Amazon or Jet.
On 26/07/2015 00:29, micky wrote:

phone B that was unable to be charged before. What's going on? I have no clue.
Anyway, thanks to anyone who replied to my question.
On 7/26/2015 11:35 PM, yyy378 wrote:

Sounds like time to call a preist, and have both power strips water baptized in the salty ocean, while the power strips are plugged in.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
wrote in message

You are welcome. You better check to make sure your fridge is still working. Can't tell what is going on in your house!