Cell Phone boosters or antennas

Page 2 of 2
On Apr 10, 7:52pm, snipped-for-privacy@example.com (Doug Miller) wrote:
et> wrote:

Or change providers. They share towers, but there are other towers, other locations.
Miller) wrote:

You were lucky. Still, I'm glad I forked out the $150 for an AT&T Microcell that fixed my problem with almost 0 bars at home. I didn't have much of a choice since Verizon and Sprint coverage are no better at this location.
I bought the thing the day it was released for public sale and the initial performance was a bit ragged. However, it improved dramatically over the next few months. I assume that was due to firmware updates.
Repeaters and the like are a lot more expensive ($200-500+ with antennas and all) and the results are very hit and miss according to the reports I studied.
On 4/10/2011 9:29 PM, Malcolm Hoar wrote:

yeah, but if it is hung off your internet connection, and that goes down, and you don't have a landline, how ya gonna call it in?
--
aem sends...

Drive half a mile down the road where I can make a regular cellphone without difficulty. Or 1.5 miles where I can park literally right under an AT&T cell tower ;-)
Yes, the Microcell is useless without IP but I'm still better off with it than I am without it. It doesn't make matters worse in *any* respect -- there's zero downside (apart from the $150 purchase price).

I have no knowledge of chip can antennas.
I have use antennaes and two of the WILSON boosters and one of the wy- ex zboost sytems.
All of them worked. for both ATT and VERIZON 800/1900. Remember that 4 g is coming - if that matters to you.
The antennae i used required a phone that accept an antenae. As noted there are few of them any more. However, I've seen ads for inductive coupled antenaes. I have NOT tried those.
check with Wilson for solutions. they are very helpful.
also check with Howard Forums on the net.
Remember you can only boost signal if you HAVE signal. zero times any boost is still zero. You may be able to run the cable up the hill to where there is signal for the external antenae. The LMR 400 cable is expensive, but much better than "regular" coax.
one final note, be sure that you Follow the instructions to make sure that the booster cannot "see" the external antenae. We ended up using a refridgerator to separate them. it made a huge difference.
Remember "Cut and Paste" to URL works better then active click.
http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/how-to-build-a-wifi - biquad-dish-antenna

This would be so much easier if one could post a PDF here but here is a website that teaches you the same thing, What works for Wifi WORKS for cell phones as well. I built one of these and I can hit any unsecured Wifi spot within ten miles of my vehicle, Oh ya this would look weird strapped on a bike? I wouldn't recommend it. Here's the site hurry the Article is getting ready to "Time Out".
<"http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/how-to-build-a-wifi - biquad-dish-antenna/">
You can cut corners by getting a Pad antenna and using that on the Dishes horn but the construction is pretty simple, I opted out of the cost and built the Pad myself. Some HAMS call them "BowTie" antennas. Others may use the term "Pressure-Zone" what-ever.
--
Get SSL VPN services now, KEEP Government OUT of your
business..

I bought a 400$ booster with dual antennas and it didnt help. Then I got a Micro Cell and it boosted me about 3-5 bars. Att Verizon and maybe Sprint have these. They are a trasmitter reciever and run your cell phone over the internet. for about 150 I got the Att version. I have no added monthly fee.
On 5/12/2011 8:27 PM, ransley wrote:

Only useful if you have a good internet connection. Not always true in areas with lousy cell coverage, for the same reasons- no money in it for the vendors.
--
aem sends...

Not true, I have crap att broadband, often it can go to 400kb download and never goes over 1.2mb download, average is 1mb down. And ATT cant get me better service. All you need is broadband just no dialup. It is for areas of lousy cell phone coverage, thats the point. The vendors do sell alot of them as verizon just came out with theirs.
On 5/13/2011 6:56 AM, ransley wrote:

How about on a 384 DSL line, like many of us have? And that is when it is working correctly.
Just checked. A blazing 480kb up, and 380kb down. Surprisingly good.
--
aem sends...