Cell Phone boosters or antennas

Actually that sounds quaint and how folks used to use cellphones when they cost $1/minute and had 1 hour battery life.

We don't have a landline. Everyone in my family and most of my friends are on the same carrier so we have "free" calling.

I think cellphones have incredible utility value. Just yesterday morning I had a two hour drive to meet someone and about ten minutes into the ride the guy called and said he had a family emergency and needed to reschedule. If my phone was turned off I would have wasted 4 hours of driving. And with a smartphone I can often resolve stuff in minutes. Also I can search stuff, look up prices, get notifications on deliveries and handy stuff like being able to check the weather radar when we are out cycling to decide how long we have until the storm instead of the old days of "rain is forecast , lets ride another day"

Reply to
George

George wrote in news:io43t1$6uv$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Do you even know how to use a cell phone? I have a prepaid cell that is way cheaper than a landline.

Reply to
Mr.Spock

Jeff Thies wrote in news:insi7m$nn7$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

This would be so much easier if one could post a PDF here but here is a website that teaches you the same thing, What works for Wifi WORKS for cell phones as well. I built one of these and I can hit any unsecured Wifi spot within ten miles of my vehicle, Oh ya this would look weird strapped on a bike? I wouldn't recommend it. Here's the site hurry the Article is getting ready to "Time Out".

You can cut corners by getting a Pad antenna and using that on the Dishes horn but the construction is pretty simple, I opted out of the cost and built the Pad myself. Some HAMS call them "BowTie" antennas. Others may use the term "Pressure-Zone" what-ever.

Reply to
moronsbegone

Remember "Cut and Paste" to URL works better then active click.

moronsbegone

Really? I think that I'd miss having my cell phone, seeing as it actually works, as opposed to the last land line that I had (which Verizon claimed worked, and had no problem charging me for, but would stop working if it was raining, humid, windy, etc. or even for no discernable reason.) My monthly cell bill was cheaper than my (basic, no long distance) land line bill too.

There's a reason that I haven't had a land line in years, and it starts with "V" and ends in "erizon."

nate

Reply to
N8N

yup yup yup

also my cellphone has free unlimited mobile-to-mobile minutes no matter who the carrier is, and free "night and weekend" minutes so it's a very rare call (would have to be during the day, on a weekday, and to a land line) for which I actually get charged minutes. And I have 450 of those a month. I don't talk on the phone nearly enough to get to that. I finally drank the Kool-Aid and got a smart phone a couple months ago, and it's cool as heck, but even before that, I was cell only for about seven years just because the convenience of the cell was great, and with high-speed internet there was no longer any compelling reason at all to pay for a land line which pretty much would never get used. (why would I make a LD call from a land line and get charged for it, when I can make the same call for free from my cell?)

And, like I said, it works, without hassle. Unlike the last THREE times I got a land line from V*****n, about whom I don't have the vocabulary to clearly explain to you just how badly and in how many different ways they suck. And I am quite fluent in colloquial English profanity.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I bought a 400$ booster with dual antennas and it didnt help. Then I got a Micro Cell and it boosted me about 3-5 bars. Att Verizon and maybe Sprint have these. They are a trasmitter reciever and run your cell phone over the internet. for about 150 I got the Att version. I have no added monthly fee.

Reply to
ransley

(why would I make a LD call from a land line

How are the international rates on your cell? Do dial-around services work on them? I have wacko relatives that insist on living on the other side of the puddle.

And why are you replying to a month-old thread?

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Only useful if you have a good internet connection. Not always true in areas with lousy cell coverage, for the same reasons- no money in it for the vendors.

Reply to
aemeijers

Not true, I have crap att broadband, often it can go to 400kb download and never goes over 1.2mb download, average is 1mb down. And ATT cant get me better service. All you need is broadband just no dialup. It is for areas of lousy cell phone coverage, thats the point. The vendors do sell alot of them as verizon just came out with theirs.

Reply to
ransley

How about on a 384 DSL line, like many of us have? And that is when it is working correctly.

Just checked. A blazing 480kb up, and 380kb down. Surprisingly good.

Reply to
aemeijers