Ceiling tiles, dropped ceiling

Hi! Next project in line after the renters, is to replace the dropped ceiling tiles in the kitchen.
1. Is there a preferred way to clean and then perhaps repaint the frame (if needed) without damaging it? There is minor rust looking bits in some spots but it may be a combination of grease and cigarette smoke. We havent done more than look up as of yet. (My first trial will be to try wiping with 409 which may be all it needs). It's whte factory 'painted' semi-gloss metal.
2. I can see several manufacturers at the 2 LHS's (Lowes and Home Depot). Do any know if one is better for kitchen use? They all seem the same to me except one of them has a sort of unique swirl to it. Costs only a little more so were going with that one unless anyone has a brand they find better for this use. Neither LHS has a recommendation.
On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 11:30:15 -0800, Cshenk wrote:

A dropped ceiling for the kitchen wouldn't be my first choice because of grease, smoke, etc. Impossible to clean.
Any chance you could remove the dropped ceiling and replace with a layer of sheetrock? If it's a small kitchen, it may be easier and sharper looking than attempting a rehab on a dropped ceiling. No matter how you try to clean up the gridwork, it's going to still be gridwork.
"franz frippl" wrote

True but financing all the other repairs doesnt lead to other olutions at this time.

Not at this time. The panels are pretty cheap. As another said, dont get'em wet <g>.
I just installed a ceiling, so just a note. I made a ding in a panel and tried to out-ding it with hot water (on a rag) like you can do with freshly dented wood. The only thing I drew out was a permanent large brown stain - so don't get any new panels too wet.
-