Ceiling sand-painted - refresh/repaint?

Nine years ago I painted a ceiling using sand in the paint. It was a PITA and took a day and way more paint than I expected, but the result is very good.
I'd like to repaint it with a coat to freshen it this year.
Is there any concern about the sand getting loosened and moving around or anything like that? What should I use as far as roller (should I spray it?)
Banty