Ceiling question

We just built an addition on our house that has two floors. The addition sits on a slab. We are in the process of finishing the first floor but cannot agree on what type of ceiling to put in: ceiling tiles or sheetrock. The argument for ceiling tiles is that, since we have radiant heat for the second floor, tiles would give us easier access to the tubing in case there is a problem. Also, it would be easier to add and change wiring (cable, speaker, ...) Unfortunately, I find the ceiling tiles to be ugly and expensive. Any opinions either way?

Reply to
Flair

If by "ceiling tiles" you mean a drop ceiling, there are "tiles" available that look somewhat like old pressed-tin ceilings. Granted, you'll still be able to see the grid, but they're certainly more attractive than the typical dirty-white Armstrong stuff that makes you feel like your basement has had an affair with a cube farm.

nate

Reply to
N8N

sheetrock. IF and when you need access, a sawzall will do that. It's easy to repair. Tiles are so 70ish and collect a lot of dust.

Steve Barker

Many basements still have a lot of exposed (below the joists) pipe and stuff making the grid a good choice. I wonder how bad pieces of 3/8" sheet rock laid in the grid would look? Painted, of course.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

thats true, but has nothing to do with the original post. No basement mentioned.

Steve Barker

If resale is ever an option to be considered a drywall ceiling is the only way to go. Resale or not I would never consider anything else anywhere except possibly in a basement.

All the other choices have a cheap or commercial look that I choose not to live with.

Just an opinion, no insults intended to those who chose something else.

Reply to
Colbyt

N8N wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j35g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

I really know nothing about them but have recently seen them in stores. They can actually be quite decorative in the right setting. Have no idea or comparative costing.

Red Green

Learn to do drywall and don't texture the ceiling, then no problem tearing into the ceiling and patching it up again.

I have needed to run additional wires in the wall or wherever and no problem - I just tear it apart if necessary, patch when done, then paint and you can't tell it was ever torn apart.

As to sanding newly patched walls/ceilings in an existing home and all that white dust which will get on everything in the room, place a shop vac outside and run the hose through a window. Then have someone hold the vacuum nozzle near where the sanding is being done. Then most of the dust goes into shop vac or outside and not on all the furniture.

Reply to
Bill

I vote for drywall. And if pulling future wire is a concern, just add some conduit to strategic points before the drywall. This is something I would do in any new home, but I've never seen it done. Having a few conduits in the right place can make doing stuff in later years a breeze.

Reply to
trader4