Ceiling Popcorn Remover

I have received several suggestions on how to soak, sand and remove this artifact from our ceilings. Given that fact that this is quite messy, I wonder if it would be better to put up new sheet rock or simply cover the existing ceiling with something with a similar texture.
google this group. this gets asked often.
randy

New sheetrock will require the seams to be coated and sanded. It think it is equally messy and of course, more costly. We cleaned our house of the popcorn crap. Took a while, but the results are worth it.
There was asbestos used in acustical ceiling coatings (popcorn or cottage cheese) It is a toxic substance and should be tested before removal. By 1978 it was banned. Dana

I used a drywall knife and a lot of plastic. It came off pretty easy. However that was the beginning. Since the popcorn was used the original taping job was pretty crappy. Popcorn covers a lot of sins. I ended up hiring a drywall contractor to retape the ceiling. Large great room. It took 3 day and 5 guys to tape sand and remud all of the joints. They also shot an knock down texture on the ceiling. I painted.