Ceiling Paint - Prime First?

I'm going to paint a ceiling (standard 'ceiling white') that hasn't been painted in roughly 10 years. It's not really all that dirty for being so old, so I'll probably just wipe it with STP or the like. Should be no problem with new paint adhering to the old. But here's the question... I want to be able to cover with the least number of coats possible. Would priming it first be likely to cut the total number of coats (including the primer coat) needed? TIA.

---Mick

Reply to
Mick

If you wipe it with STP, nothing will stick to it.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

STP goes in motors TSP is soap. If it isnt dirty dont wash it. TSP without good rinsing can leave streaks in new paint. If it is a kitchen or greasy area wash. Otherwise use the best paint

Reply to
m Ransley

Since the ceiling already has paint on it, STP, or TSP is not required unless it's a kitchen ceiling and therefore, might be greasy. Just keep the roller loaded with paint and don't get too carried away with rolling it out.

Ya know, they now make a ceiling paint that goes on with a pink tint but dries white. This really helps ensure you don't miss spots. I just used it and it works. H-D, Lowes, etc.

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

it MIGHT require a coat of primer. if it does, and you dont, youll be painting over what you have already painted which means more coats. worst case you may even be removing that coat before priming.

primer is almost guaranteed to cut the number of coats. if you put one coat of paint on and thats it, its gonna look like hell in a year.

so in the words of clint eastwood: tell me punk, do you feel lucky?

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

hey, you like to gamble, dont use primer. primer isnt paint and paint isnt primer. they serve two seperate functions.

randy

question... I

Reply to
xrongor

No - that's just another coat. By a good, high solids paint and you will only need 1 coat. Sherwin Williams SuperPaint - there are others.

Reply to
jeffc

And primer is a total waste of time in this case.

Reply to
jeffc

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 13:20:01 -0400, "Mick" wrote (with possible editing):

Put me down with those that tell you not to prime. More important: look at the formulas on the cans first. Ceiling paint and primer are almost identical. "Premium" ceiling paint usually contains a little more solids (usually titanium dioxide), while "primer" contains a little more binder. Normally, if you remove any surface dust or cobwebs, a single coat of a premium ceiling paint is all you need.

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport

Primer is only for bare surfaces, once something has been painted you can use regular paint in the future.

If the ceiling is not too dirty you don't need to do much cleaning. Just check for cobwebs that sometimes go overlooked.

If the ceiling is in a bathroom or kitchen I prefer to use a semi-gloss which makes it easier to clean. (In a bathroom a paint formulated to retard mildew growth is best.) Otherwise, a flat white is normally the choice.

Reply to
Bruce

Actually primers serve 'many' different functions.

So, randy what primer would you recommend for this job??

Classic case of why top posting sucks so I'll jump all over to respond.

Huh?

Absurd.

So randy what primer would you recommend for this job?

The biggest part of the job is moving the furniture, masking & covering up whatever you don't want to get paint on.

If it isn't filthy or greasy don't wash it. knock the dust & cobwebs off & paint it. If, once it's dry if you feel you need another coat it will only take a short time to do it.

Spend a few extra bucks on a lambswoll roller you'll be glad you did.

Reply to
3rd eye

wheres waldo

Reply to
xrongor

I had a white, textured ceiling that showed graying around the air vents from a burnt out furnace jacket. I repainted it the same white using a deep pile sheepskin roller and the cheapest white paint I could find. It soaked it up like mad -- glad I used cheap paint. Twenty years later, it still looks good.

SJF

Reply to
SJF

Huh? Can you answer the question?