Ceiling Options for the Lazy

Hi, I have a 14x14 dining room that has no ceiling, just the exposed joists, plumbing, ductwork, etc, for much of the house. Plumbing and ductwork extend below the level of the joists so to put drywall up would require some weird framing, and I don't want drywall anyway because I want to be able to get to the mechanicals if necessary in the future.
Somewhere I've seen some sort of cloth-draping deal, sort of like curtains "draped" across the ceiling hiding all the joists and mechanicals. Has anyone heard of such a thing ? (Did I see this in a movie ?) Sure looks like not much work. Not sure if this can be done, and if it would forever collect dust and/or be a fire hazard somehow.
Barring that does anyone have experience with, or know of, a line of suspended ceiling panels that would look acceptable - i.e., fit in with an old house, as opposed to looking like an office.
Thanks !
tippcity snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (billman) wrote:
snip

How about something like this?
http://www.mbossinc.com /
I'm trying to find a good link for you, but there are replicas of tin ceilings that are made from plastic and look very good. Easy to install & paint. I've seen them in use, like them and I'm really, really picky about ceilings.
Hey, thanks ! Took a look around the web, MBoss is cheaper than other ones, for metal. BTW I found plastic drop-in panels at www.ceilingsmagnifique.com, no price list though.
(billman) wrote:

There is also the "industrial" look that many bars and restaurants go for, whereby you simply leave that stuff in plain view, but paint it all black or something.
Drop ceiling?
Material cost at commercial drywall house about 75 cents/ SF. Fancier tile gets more expensive.
--

Keep the whole world singing. . .
Dan G

(remove the 7)