Ceiling mounted outlets

I am installing a projector in my basement and it will be on the ceiling. I intend to install an outlet there rather than run an extension coard above my ceiling tiles.

Is there any thing I should be concerned about, or typical code requirements? Can I install the outlet above the ceiling tiles, or does the outlet have to be exposed below the tiles? Do plugged in devices have to have immediate access to the plug in location, or is it ok that its hidden behind a ceiling tile?

I intent to simply mount a box on a ceiling joist, install an outlet, and a faceplate, and call it a day. Is that ok?

I don't really want to call an electrician and pull a permit for this, but I suppose I can if its absolutely necessary.

Reply to
dnoyeB

As long as you use 12-2 romex instead of a salvaged extension cord and hardwire the new J box and its source you should be fine.

Normally you cannot bury a J box inside a wall or ceiling but in your case where the tile is easily and obviously removable I would consider that OK.

Technically you probably do need a permit but for such a small job...................... (you do not need an electrician if you feel you can DIY unless you live in one of those oppressive cities which ban electrical and plumbing by non licensed people)

In a basement, you may want to put it in a GFCI receptacle upstream, if not done already.

Reply to
PipeDown

My fuse panel uses GFCI breakers for most of the basement circuits. Hmm. Now I wonder why I put that GFCI in the basement bathroom...

I intend to use the proper wire and tie it into a circuit I have in a nearby wall. that circuit is 14-2 and only has 3 outlets and bathroom lights on it. Hopefully thats not too much.

Reply to
dnoyeB

Probably because it is a pain to run to the breaker box when you trip a GFCI.

Depends on what it is. Bathroom outlets have to be #12 and cannot share with non-bathroom uses.

Reply to
Toller

14-2 is fine as long as there is a 15A breaker feeding it.
Reply to
PipeDown