Ceiling Lights - Insulation?????

We just removed a dropped ceiling in our kitchen and put four 6" recessed lights in the ceiling. There appears to be a slight area around the base of the lights that's not sealed tight. We were wondering if there is something acceptable to seal around these light in the attic to prevent AC leakage? Foil ducting tape? Just put insulation around them? Spray foam sealant (we're hessitant on this as it states it's still combustable after cured)?

And should we leave the domes in the attic free of insulation so the heat from the lights doesn't tranfer into any insulation that might be over the light fixtures?

Thanks!

Reply to
infiniteMPG

Are the lights you installed rated for direct insulation contact?

I'd suspect that the metal foil duct tape might be suitable to prevent airflow leakage, or application of a good caulk.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I have the paperwork from the lights, guess I could RTFM.... :O/ Didn't think to look at that as what I looked at on there at first glance wasn't English...

leakage, or application of a good caulk.

We're just looking to seal the small gap around the light fixture in the hole in the sheet rock to prevent AC/heat leaking and also to keep any critters like ants or something that might invade the attic from having direct access into the kitchen.

Thanks!

Reply to
infiniteMPG

If you want to stay within code, you must use an intumescent sealer. Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards sells it in their caulk section. It's a caulk that expands with heat and stops the spread of flames. Never use ordinary foam.

If the fixture isn't approved for direct contact with insulation, you can build a dam around it with sheet metal duct.

Reply to
Rick-Meister

Using the right type of recessed light fixture would solve the air gap problem as they come with a metal box to keep the insulation from contacting the hot area and seal quite tightly at the drywall plus they don't have small holes for springs and other lamp fasteners that leak air into the attic. Going cheap and using the wrong fixtures can cost you more when trying to modify them to serve as something else.

Reply to
EXT

*They are called air tight housings and the cost is a little more than the standard housing or the insulation contact (ICT) housing. Halo makes them in many sizes. The downside to ICT and AT housings is that you are usually limited to a maximum wattage of 75.
Reply to
John Grabowski