ceiling hook in concrete ceiling

I want to install a ceiling hook for hanging a plant and need some suggestions on what to use. The problem is that the ceiling is precast concrete (this is a multifloor apartement building) and the usual solutions don't apply. I'd like to avoid drilling a large hole and inserting one of the metal anchors if at all possible. And the screws I've seen for "threading" into concrete don't have the decorator appeal for a women. What are the alternatives I should consider?

Thanks for the ideas.

John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
John Keith

Try looking at TAPCONS. Available in decorator colors. Blue, red and a gray that I am aware of.

Your going to need a roto-hammer and a "hard" concrete bit to do this. As well as permission from the landlord. Which is seriously doubtful. Prestressed concrete is made that way for strength. Drilling holes in it weakens the concrete. If they let you then they have to let everyone. Time to build something from wood or metal.

Reply to
SQLit

If you prepare (clean) the surface carefully you could adhere any of a number of attachments to the concrete with a good, properly cured epoxy. The strength of the bond will exceed that needed to hold a planter.

Boden

SQLit wrote:

Reply to
boden

You've pretty much covered them. Except for glue which I wouldn't.

I guess you could attach a decorative piece of wood to the ceiling with countersunk Tapcons (the screws you mention), plug the holes and hang the plant from a decorative through eyebolt in the wood.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Be sure to wear a helmet when near it also. If the plant is hefty at all, it will eventually pull out. You NEED a good solid metal anchor of some sort, ugly or not

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Post up from one or two nearby walls, and run a crossbar to hang the plant from. Or use a floor-stand. If you're going to try adhesive, you want something like a 30" medallion to give you a big enough contact patch.

Reply to
Goedjn

Oh, and if there's steel plate in that concrete ceiling get one of those 100# magnets from

(this one should work)

Goedjn

Most decorative plant hooks come with a double ended screw that has wood threads on one end and machine threads to go into the hook. These will work just fine in a plastic anchor set in the proper sized hole in the concrete and will be totally unseen when the hook is installed.

DanG

OP-

How heavy is the plant you intend to hang?

I would be careful about drilling very far into a concrete slab in a multiunit situation. The slab could be PT'd & you might be jsut unlucky enough to hit a PT strand.

SIKA makes a fast set epxoy Sikadur AnchorFix #1 (~5min gel, less an hour to full cure) that would be perfect for an overhead stitation

Bond a 1/4" threaded rod & screw on a hook (a good one, not some cast piece of crap)

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Thanks for the dialog. I appreciate the experience of others. Not sure what I'll do yet.