Ceiling fixture wiring question

Page 2 of 2

There is a whole industry that has come up around telling you and the states will actually enforce it if you want to work in the industry. I think it is a scam on several different levels.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Be careful what you wish for.
I know you said "get it right before they print it" but we all know that no matter how well intentioned they (and we) are, it is not going to be perfect - ever. Things change, new ideas come up, old believes are proved to be wrong.
What do you think would be worse - the code churn caused by a 3 year cycle or living with whatever is wrong with the current code for 10 years.

There is actually a way to fix glitches between xycles in the Technical Action Committee and the states or smaller AHJs are free to write addenda to the code. Florida adopts the code by law but they got around by that by adding a rule about bonding steel studs in the building code. We would certainly be better served if these codes were left to settle a bit between cycles so we don't have changes to changes to changes. Perhaps they might even wait until a product actually exists before they mandate it;'s use.

It was necessary to wire it that way to include the wall switch in the circuit and have a black wire and a white wire feed the light fixture. If you were to open up the switch you would find that the white wire is hot and the black wire is the load feeding the fixture. If the black on the switch was hot and the white was the load you would end up with two white wires feeding the light fixture. This wiring scheme is normal and an accepted practice.
Do not make any changes to the wiring. Just disconnect the two wires from the existing light fixture and connect the new light fixture to them.

Thanks alot for the answers, that makes sense. I have one more challenge though. The location of the current junction box is not correct. I actually need to install my light about 1 foot away from the current lights' location. So I can't just connect the new light to where the current light is. My plan was to put a cover on the junction box that is there now. Then install a new junction box in the new, correct location. So I guess what I need to do is bring into my new junction box C4 (from the switch) and C3? Then wire the black from C4 to the light fixture and take the white from C3 and wire to the other leg of the light fixture? Then obviously continue the wiring on the old, existing junction box. Does that make sense?

I is usually easiest to add a new romex from the old j-box to the new box. Connect to the wires that feed the light in the old box.

Taping is another method that is used. The wiring is compliant with the NEC as is. (Tape it if you want to.)
-- bud--

re: "we've only lived in the house a few months."
Just curious...what does this have to do with the situation?

Good question....I guess I was hoping somebody would bake us a pie for our new house :)

I'll go home and bake a nice apple pie for you this evening. Since I have no way of getting it to you, I'll eat it for you also.
Welcome to the neigborhood.

Can I get summa dat pie too? Oops! Wrong newsgroup :-)