Ceiling Fan Wiring Question

Page 2 of 2
On 12/9/2015 3:28 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That can;t sork -- if the *fan* is allowed to wobble (the cowling will wobble with it and, inevitably, dig into the ceiling).
I installed a fan above in-laws kitchen table ~35 years ago and the hanger was a hook-and-eye; hook went through center knockout of octagonal box into 2x6 straddling ceiling joists. Lift eye on fan stem onto hook. Connect wires. Slide cowling up fan stem until *close* to ceiling. Secure set screw.
The two fans on the back porch (here) use special brackets with a "ball" end on fan stem that slips *into* saddle bracket secured to Jbox (special boxes with reinforced bosses that transfer load directly to back/top surface of Jbox). They have far less wiggle room as the fan motor assemblies are much wider, shrouded and very close to ceiling -- I can't even see where the cowling *would* fit against the ceiling (no ceiling on porch)
On Wed, 09 Dec 2015 22:10:42 -0700, Don Y

Only absolute bottom of the line fans have been that way for the last 10 years or more. In other words, just the junkiest of the junky junk.

Those have the "gimball" and the canopy fits tight to the ceiling (or junction box) and the fan moves IN the canopy. No whay a properly tightedned current type fan could ever rub the canopy against the ceiling.

You better call an electrician - you do not haveany romex clamps in the box where the wires come in, and it is not a "fan rated " box. Stop screwing around and have it fixed RIGHT.
On 12/6/2015 3:26 PM, Ron wrote:

The "fixture" looks like a fan and a light. So, two "supply" wires (line) and one "return" (neutral) wire.
This allows you to install a speed control for the fan *and/or* a dimmer for the light. Had the two "supply" wires been tied together *in* the fixture (i.e., so the fixture just had one hot and one neutral), you could use the switches (pull chain, etc.) to control the fan and/or light, but couldn't use a dimmer or speed control (because you couldn't "supply" just the fan or just the light from that REMOTELY located control/switch).
How do you *want* the fan/light to behave? Within reason, you can change this behavior (e.g., so both turn off with the switch; add a second switch for REMOTE control of each function independantly, etc.)

How does your mother want it to work.
Bear in mind, when the fan runs and no one is in the room, it doesn't make the room cooler. It makes it warmer. The fan gives off a little heat and moving air is equivalent to heat, plus it blows the warm air near the ceiling down to where the people are. Not that fans are bad -- most people like them -- but they don't help when you're not in the room and you might want to turn the fan and the light off then.

The fan still moves the air and keeps the temperature more even from floor to ceiling. The amount of "heat" added to the room by the fan is a virtual non issue.
On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 20:51:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Why does that matter if no one is in the room?
(I don't even know why it matters when people are in the room.)

Did someone say something about a nitwit?
On 12/6/2015 6:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Many fans have a direction switch (located *on* the fan itself -- often a "slide" switch; usually arranged so sliding it towards the ceiling causes rotation that moves air upward and sliding it towards the floor reverses the direction so air moves downward).
Here, things get counterintuitive... :>
Pushing air downward creates a bit of a draft on the occupants to facilitate evaporative cooling (i.e. summer use). Pulling air upwards ends up pushing the air trapped above the fan (displaced by the air being drawn upwards) out to the walls and down into the room to heat the room.
[Intuition suggest the opposite would be the case!]
Of course, the cooling effect only makes sense if there are entities that can *perspire* in the air flow! A fan running in an empty room doesn't cool ANYONE!
On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 5:30:59 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

The last part has been posted, repeated many times, but I'd like to see a test that it actually raises the temperature of the room down below. When you move air across the ceiling, you're disturbing the boundary layer of air and likely increasing the heat loss through the ceiling. I have mine set to down and only run them in summer.
On Sunday, December 6, 2015 at 5:27:02 PM UTC-5, Ron wrote:

you can buy a emote control for that fan light combo, so you can do either whenever you want
On 12/7/2015 8:13 AM, bob haller wrote:

Once in a while, an obvious typo is funny. "emote control" is one such.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/emote
Hey, quit pushing my buttons! You know how worked up that makes me! I said stop!
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You can for some/most - but sometimes they don't work. They don't work if you have LED lighting in the room (from experience)