ceiling fan wiring

Page 1 of 2
I'm replacing a lighted ceiling fan with a new one that has a transmitter that controls the fan speed and light kit. The instructions assume you only have three wires coming out of the ceiling (black, white, green) to hook up the receiver and fan. My ceiling fan has a wall switch that controls the light, but not the fan which is wired to be controlled by the fan chain. So I'm assuming there are four wires coming out of my ceiling with one of them being hot but only controlled by the switch.
Do I just cap off the extra wire when installing the new fan or do I connect it to the black wire? The wall switch will be covered by the bracket that holds the new fan's remote control. The manufacturer is closed today and I expect they would tell me to call an electrician anyway.
On 2016-06-26 1:31 PM, badgolferman wrote:

Just cap the extra wire, a wire nut and some electrical tape should do it.
--
Froz....

On 2016-06-26 1:31 PM, badgolferman wrote:

Just cap the extra wire, a wire nut and some electrical tape should do it.
--
Froz....

Light switch one hot wire>>>>>>>>light
On 06/26/2016 01:31 PM, badgolferman wrote:

Ask the electrical inspector when you get the permit.

A permit to replace a ceiling fan?
I replaced a valve in the shower today. Do I need to call the inspector for that too?
On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 18:35:15 -0000 (UTC), badgolferman

Technically, yes ans quite possibly. And if the house has aluminum mwiring you are "technically" not allowed to do the job even WITH a permit here in Ontario.
On 06/26/2016 02:35 PM, badgolferman wrote:

No, of course not. Don't be silly.
On 6/26/2016 2:35 PM, badgolferman wrote:

In some towns, yes.
"badgolferman" wrote in message wrote:

A permit to replace a ceiling fan?
I replaced a valve in the shower today. Do I need to call the inspector for that too?
Yep did you have whoopee last night inspector need to know if she kept legs open!!!!!
"badgolferman" wrote in message wrote:

A permit to replace a ceiling fan?
I replaced a valve in the shower today. Do I need to call the inspector for that too?
Yes some places are ridicules, few years back I live in NJ and permit is require to replace Hot water heater even so I can and did ten time better job then any plumber so I replace the HW without permit no problem with that but then sanitation department refuse to pickup old one. by the way permit was $75.00!
George Jetson wrote:

You're kidding , right ? Requiring a permit to change a ceiling fan is really going way too far IMO . Next thing you know we'll be required to hire alicensed electrician to change a light bulb .
--
Snag

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
George Jetson wrote:

You're kidding , right ? Requiring a permit to change a ceiling fan is really going way too far IMO . Next thing you know we'll be required to hire alicensed electrician to change a light bulb .
--
Snag

Yep one guy holding bulb while two guys turning him around!!!

It's not so much to change it but to inspect the new lightbulb and determine if it is qualified or not.
On 6/26/16 2:13 PM, George Jetson wrote:

Sounds like you grew up in a place where the government has way too much control of your life ;-)
--
When government becomes the parent, the people become the child.
- @larryelder
On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 1:31:56 PM UTC-4, badgolferman wrote:

So as I understand it, at the fan box, you have one wire that is permanently hot, one wire that is controlled by the switch for the light. So, you could do what you want, which is to have both the fan and light work by remote control, by just using the one permanently hot wire and capping off the light wire.
For me whether that is functionally OK would depend on whether you use the light much. If it's rarely turned on, then what you're doing would be OK. If the light is one that is frequently used or the one typically used when entering the room, then I'd want it on a regular wall switch. Sounds like that fan doesn't accommodate that though.
trader_4 wrote:

No, it doesn't. There is a remote with fan and light controls. On the bright side there is also a bracket that gets installed over the existing wall plate where the remote can be placed. Unfortunately that's not as convenient as reaching in the dark room and flipping a switch.
On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 13:49:09 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"

If it was me, I would leave the light (usually blue wire) on the switch and hook the fan up to the hot wire, using the remote for that.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

This is what I would like to do and why I wrote the original message in the first place. Has anyone actually bypassed the remote for light operations? I'm hoping it's as simple as you say.
On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 14:31:34 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"

Just tie back the light wire coming out of the controller. There are probably instructions for this if you did not have a light kit in your fan.

I did as you suggested and everything works fine! Thanks.