Ceiling fan support

I've been meaning to get into the attic and put a cross-brace above the electrical boxes which connect to the ceiling fans and then run a couple screws with washers into it from the room side of the box. Should this satisfy code? I can't get a straight answer out of the pros. Of course, they want the business with the boxes haveing the metal cross-supports already attached and I don't blame them for that.

Reply to
C & E

Depending upon the fan, it may. Some fans like a few "Hunter" brand, require a lag bolt type hook, which goes through the center knock out of the electrical box into a wooden brace. Most standard fans just mount to a fan box, which looks like a standard electrical box except it uses larger screws to mount the fan bracket, in this case, it wouldn't meet code because no matter how secure the box is, if its not a fan support box, it's only got

8/32 taps on it

Reply to
RBM

| already attached and I don't blame them for that.=20 |=20 |=20

I recently hung a 50 lb fan which came "with all required extras".

All they had was a 4" nail. I switched it to a 3" #10 screw.

If you are going to put in cross-braces, get the metal sliding type. = They are easy to fit and can be installed with 1.5" #8 screws. Much = easier than hanging 2X4 bracing.

--=20 PDQ

Reply to
PDQ

only your building permit office has the local information you need.

Reply to
buffalobill

Yea, Bill, it's like that for a great many things. I just thought htis one was generic enough to be covered in the 'national code', so to speak. To support your comment, the contractor at my cabin dropped the line down a pole in order to approach the house underground and had his work rejected because he used schedule 40 PVC. It was insufficient (I won;t try to recall the proper schedule). The contractor shrugged and said something to the effect that it was good enough in every other surrounding municipality. Oh well.

Reply to
C & E

i usually use a 2x4 between the joists and srew the box into it .its not hard to measure and cut 2x4,then screw it in place. useing the heavy elec box made for ceiling fans is best.lucas

ds549