Ceiling Fan - replace fan switch - loud pop - not working

I have a ceiling fan with light fixtures that I broke. I cant figure out what make and model. I tried to replace the 3 speed switch. The switch I replaced with is the exact same kind as the previous. After I installed (all color wires in exact same positions) I flipped the breaker switch and the lights and fan came on just fine. I tried to pull the chain on the switch and then I heard a large pop sound and now the fan and the lights are not working.

Ive been reading through previous posts and I cant exactly put my finger on it... Capacitor? Motor?

Any ideas?

Reply to
GigaNews

Check your breaker. If it's popped, you probably have a short somewhere.

Reply to
Jedd Haas

Good luck with this. I too have a ceiling that I cannot identify with a bad

3-speed switch.

I can't find a suitable replacement switch at a reasonable cost. I'm going to take the fan down and either replace it with another fan, or just put in a light fixture.

You mentioned you had an identical replacement switch. I tried "identical" switches too, both from a local fan store and one of the big home centers. They didn't work, the motor just hummed. Later I found this page on the web about how replacement switches can look identical but not work identically to the original. The page is from the Gulf Coast Fan website

Something to think about, anyway. Good luck!

Reply to
KC

is the fan and light working off 1 switch or 2 switches?

Reply to
David J

I agree with those who say it may be a look alike switch, but not the same switch. If the breaker has tripped, then the switch may still be OK. If the breaker has not tripped, which I believe it has) then get a new switch. Make sure you have a switch compatible with your specific make and model fan. Then follow the installation instructions on the switch, not the colors from the old switch.

When you go in to do this, I would not be too surprised if one connection was not properly made and you will find evidence of the short.

If all this does not make total sense, I suggest calling in a professional who will be able to make quick work of the job.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan