ceiling fan question- screws keep turning when trying to screw hanger bracket..

Hi, Im in the process of hanging a ceiling fan- replacing a broken unit.
I am trying to install the hanger bracket to the outlet box. I have noticed that as I turn both screws on the hanger bracket, they keep on turning as I turn them, they dont lock in place. It appears, I believe that the threads are the cause of this. Can someone give me some advice? This is an older house- so Im not dealing with sheetrock but plaster. I could I suppose remove the outlet box and put a new one in, but is there an easier fix?
Thanks! KOS
The proper thing to do is use a fan support box. The Westinghouse 01100 is made to go into existing ceilings through the four inch hole you already have. these boxes use a 10/32 screw as opposed to an 8/32 of a lighting outlet box. I believe this box is available at Home Depot

the box that is in there now can support a ceiling fan.. I do have the correct size screw10/32... would some type of nut or washer do the trick? or is it best to replace with a new fan support box? Thanks again
If you've already got a fan box. The 10/32 screws should work. Some types of fan boxes have the threaded taps through the back of the box so you need long screws to reach them. If you can't get them tight, I'd replace the box

In alt.home.repair on 17 Jul 2005 20:45:06 -0700 "KOS"

If you're going into a hole with a bottom, and not a piece of sheet metal, and you've reached the threads but it doesnt' grab, stuff a wooden match stick or toothpick in the hole, hold it in, and break it off when you're screw is in far enough.

on
believe
in,
Unless it's a box rated for hanging a fan, you need to replace it anyway. Having said that, make sure you're using the correct sized screws. 6-32 and 8-32 are close enough in diameter to confuse some people...