ceiling fan question- screws keep turning when trying to screw hanger bracket..

Hi, Im in the process of hanging a ceiling fan- replacing a broken unit.

I am trying to install the hanger bracket to the outlet box. I have noticed that as I turn both screws on the hanger bracket, they keep on turning as I turn them, they dont lock in place. It appears, I believe that the threads are the cause of this. Can someone give me some advice? This is an older house- so Im not dealing with sheetrock but plaster. I could I suppose remove the outlet box and put a new one in, but is there an easier fix?

Thanks! KOS

Reply to
KOS

RBM

the box that is in there now can support a ceiling fan.. I do have the correct size screw10/32... would some type of nut or washer do the trick? or is it best to replace with a new fan support box? Thanks again

Reply to
KOS

believe

Unless it's a box rated for hanging a fan, you need to replace it anyway. Having said that, make sure you're using the correct sized screws. 6-32 and 8-32 are close enough in diameter to confuse some people...

Reply to
Rick

Reply to
RBM

In alt.home.repair on 17 Jul 2005 20:45:06 -0700 "KOS" posted:

If you're going into a hole with a bottom, and not a piece of sheet metal, and you've reached the threads but it doesnt' grab, stuff a wooden match stick or toothpick in the hole, hold it in, and break it off when you're screw is in far enough.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman