Ceiling Fan Question

The previous owners of our house had ceiling fans installed in two rooms and 15 years later they still work great. In fact, on high in our one small room the fan turns the room into a tornado! In other rooms, admittedly cheaper fans were installed by me and they are horrible. In our bedroom it is right above the bed and you don't even feel any air hitting you when laying in bed. I guess my question is what do I look for in a new fan? Is the length of the blade most important? The pitch? The materials used in the blade?

All of the above will make a difference in air flow. If the fan is a ceiling hugger, they tend to move less air than a unit that hangs lower, also if the fan is blowing in reverse, it will create a different air pattern and won't blow directly below the fan, but rather blow up at the ceiling and create less draft underneath

Ditto. Check on the side of the fan where the pull chain comes out. There should be a small slide switch. If pushed up the air will blow upwards.
Jeffy3 wrote:

You probably have the fan running in reverse.
I have used the cheapest of fans and gotten plenty of airflow.
Before you look to buy new fans educate yourself. Perhaps a visit to the local Home Depot or Lowes.
Lou

Is that where you go to get an education? How come all I get there is ageda!!
Speaking of ceiling fans, I have one that has developed a loud hum. It's in a room with TV and it is very annoying. Other than replacing it, is there some way to silence that hummmm?
Don in Tracy, Calif.

it's controlled by a wall mount speed control, I would replace the control, and use one made by Lutron, and be sure the pull chain switch on the fan is set for the highest speed

Can be the capacitor in the unit beginning to fail. You will find the capacitor in the bottom section where the switches and wiring are. Home Depot has replacements on the end cap with the fan accessories. 'Course it could just be time for a new fan.
Steve B.

Well first bypass the dimmer if it's on one. See if problem continues.
If it's a cheapo fan then just repalce it. If it's a goodie you may be able to fix. Had a Casablanca that hummed and did other weird crap like it had rabies or something. Went to their website. All new electronics - control board, speed and reverse switch for like $20 shipped.

Probably the most important is how it looks with a room. A 56" fan in a small bedroom is not good. Also must consider how far low the fan/light hangs. Three speeds is a good feature. Solid metal blade brackets break less than hollow stamped metal. I have both cheap ($12 special) and expensive ($240) ceiling fans and you wouldn't know it unless up close. All fans should be properly installed and tuned.