ceiling Fan question

I am gettig ready to change out my old fan for a new. The old fan part is run by a rheostat, while the lights are a separate switch. Since the instructions for the new fan say it shouldn't be used with a rheostat I am thinking about taking out the rheostat and just put the wires together to bypass it entirely. Any particular reason I shouldn't. Also I am thinking about putting the rheostat back in there to take up space in the box until I get around to getting a new face plate. Okay?
In article

Consider the possibility of switching the connections so that the rheostat controls your lighting, and the switch operates the fan? Depending on your application, the ability to dim the lights may be an ambience plus.
--
Grandpa
Help improve usenet. I Kill-file Google Groups.

Since the remote also dims and turns off the lights, I am probably just changing one reason to fry the remote for another. Thanks any for the suggestion. Since we got teh light because we liked before we realized it had a remote, I think I'll probably just hook it up w/o the remote and keep things status quo. We probably wouldn't use the remote that much after playing with it for the first few weeks (g).
In article

Ah, didn't mention the remote did you? Well then, while you can bypass the rheostat as you suggest, I'd remove the rheostat and replace it with a switch at your earliest convenience; sometimes remotes need to be reset and who wants to go out to the breaker box then? Its really not a good idea to leave it there for long term.
--
Grandpa
Help improve usenet. I Kill-file Google Groups.
> that much after playing with it for the first few weeks (g).

Sorry about that. Another instance of knowing what I wanted to say and reading what I wanted instead of what I wrote..
In article

No problem. Just a recurring hazard I've observed in the comp.sys.mac area too. ;-)
--
Grandpa
Help improve usenet. I Kill-file Google Groups.

You noticed that in my posts there, too? (g).