Ceiling fan problem

Can someone please tell me what causes a new ceiling fan to "hum" or "growl"? Is there a "fix" for this? Many thanks.
Joe Martin

One cause can be a poor quality or defective speed controller.
jim ___ Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page. It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ. http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair
snipped-for-privacy@umn.edu (Mike Coonrod) writes:

Regency changes models often, and you can get the old models on closeout. I have a 5-blade 60" Regency ceiling fan that I only paid $60 for. It is in a family room with a wood stove, so it runs summer and winter. It is 5 years old and still not making a sound, except for blade noise when you run it on high. At the low setting, it is virtually silent, and moves a lot of air.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Inadequate ground, or resistance in the neutral wire due to a loose connection can cause a hum.
BB

Do you have it running on a regular light switch?...or is it on a light dimmer switch?
Have a nice week...
Trent
Help keep down the world population...have your partner spayed or neutered.