Ceiling fan malfunction

I have a Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan/ Light (model: Cameron II Plus) controlled by a Hunter wall switch.

Wall switch has an on/off for all power and then individual buttons for the three fan speeds and for the light on/off.

Recently, I was no longer able to control the fan through the switch (to turn it on or off) and then the light button stopped working. I can still turn the light on and off if I use the power on/off (instead of the light button) but it does nothing for the fan. Interestingly, even though the buttons don't actually control anything, the green LED on the wall switch still lights up when I press the button (indicating I am trying to perform an action).

I have tried the chains on the fan: the light switch is still controlled by the light chain. The ceiling fan does not turn on or off

- no matter how many times I pull the chain (1 pull - high 2 pulls - med ; 3- low 4-off). I used to be able to "jump start" the fan pushing the fan blades with the fan switched on but this no longer works.

Any help appreciated.

Reply to
Alan Greenspam

I wonder if you installed the fan control yourself or if it came with the house. I have a Hampton control that sounds similar. In fact, it is a remote control device that has a 9 volt battery in it. If you did not install the fan & controller yourself, I suggest opening the wall box with the control and see if it is actually a remote with a battery that needs replacing.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

A big New York thank you Charlie! Its gonna 90 and humid tomorrow and our newborn thanks you too.

Yes, the Hunter control does indeed have miniature 12volt battery (half the size of AAA). Never seen one before but I replaced this one with the one from the working bedroom wall switch and voila. (and yes it came with the apartment)

Im still left wondering why the fan wouldn't start when i pulled the chain on the fan itself but as long as it works...

Reply to
Alan Greenspam