Ceiling Fan: Light Getting Freaky

First, Merry Christmas! Why am I up at 3:38am? The Mrs. went to work at the local childrens hospital at 3. Yuk.

I've got a problem with my ceiling fan that is going to make me nuts. It's a Hunter Rosemont and it's about a year and a half old.

Sometime in the last week or so, the lights started to flicker/dim. At first, I assumes these were mini bronw outs with the electric itself.

Then the night before last without warning, the lights just went off on the ceiling fan. At first I figured maybe one bulb was out, I didn't notice, and now the second one went out. After switching bulbs the light didn't work, so I shut of the wall switch and went to bed.

Sure enough, when I got up in yesterday morning, I switched on the wall switch and the lights came back on. Figures.

But the time I went to bed the were off again. Again, this morning they wored again for about 10 minutes. Did a few flickers, then went off.

During this whole ordeal, the fan part works just fine. Now, the first thought that comes to mind with a flicker is a short. I've checked the wiring, and everything seems fine.

Has anyone else seen these light fixtures go silly? The metal seemed a bit warm, but not really and warmer than my other Rosemont fan in my other room. Maybe the remote and board just went wonky; although the remote works just fine for the fan.

Maybe just for giggles I'll swap the lighting fixture between the fans and see if the problem follows.

Thanks,

-=Chris

Reply to
Christopher H. Laco

My guess is the connections of the wires from the lights to the wire coming in with the power for the lights. It was not properly connected to start with and now the vibration and temperature changes have loosened the connections. Do fix it soon as it can be a hazard.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sigh. I hate problems without patterns. I went back in to watch tv, and it kicked off after 5 minutes, so I took apart the lighting part. All of the connections are rock solid. I left it on/unstrung outside of the lighting housing and of course it stayed on fior the last 5 hours. I just put it back together.

Heavy sigh. Don't even get me started about my windows. Time for some breakfast.

-=Chris

Reply to
Christopher H. Laco

Just an update. I swapped out the lighting fixtures between my two Rosemont fans, and the problem followed. It's definately the fixture/board that went bad.

Now for the fun part; HUnter Customer Service :-/

-=Chris

Reply to
Christopher H. Laco

I wonder what kind of circuit that thing has that controls the lights? Could it have some sort of over heat protection? Does it have an integrated dimmer control?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It does have an itegrated dimmer. I should try doing a full sweep on the dimmer and see if it will reset.

It sure acts like a over heat protection circuit, but like I mentioned before, that fixutre is pretty hot normally when the lights are on, even on the one that works. Nothing shocking with 2 60watt bulbs a inch away from the housing.

Reply to
Christopher H. Laco

Christopher H. Laco wrote: .

yeah, on Kill Bill 2. But I doubt you want to go all the way to China to learn the art of swordsmanship under a sensei master in order to fix it!

mk5000

"we're all of us sentenced to solitary confinement...inside our own lonley skins as long as we live in this earth"--marlon brando

Reply to
marika

Well some thermo protection devices tend to get a little sensitive with use and age.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yep. The fan light in my kitchen drove us batty for some months, Turned out to be a bum lamp socket, with poorly riveted connectors. Used a heavy duty replacement from a 150 W can light so we could use the larger lamp and everyone's happy. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst