Ceiling Fan is 'rocking' violently

You should also check to see if the fan blades mounting bolts are all tight.

Reply to
do_see

I wouldn't run the fan at all till it's fixed.

Reply to
do_see

Shhh!!! Let Darwin do his job!

Reply to
Noozer

Get almost any electrical book from the library and it points out what products and methods are req'd to isolate the electricity parts form the structrual parts, and how to install them. I believe there may be special products depoending on how/where you want to do this.

Reply to
bent

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 22:44:32 GMT, "Noozer" sayd the following:

There was no need for that comment.

Reply to
Crackles McFarly

Your fan was supposed to come with a booklet separate from the instructions, which described the structural issues involved with mounting the fan securely. Did you read that booklet?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What do you mean?

Reply to
do_see

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 20:43:50 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom" sayd the following:

It was a cheap fan and I read everything related to installation.

Why does this make me a bad person?

Reply to
Crackles McFarly

I don't care what the price was. If a fan falls and hurts a customer, the manufacturer could be out a few million bucks after the lawsuit is settled. I would be very surprised if the instruction manual did NOT contain explicit instructions about how to make sure the electrical box was braced properly.

So, let's assume the manual contained this information, but you ignored it. That *does* make you a bad person. You rushed the job and risked the safety of people in your home. Even without the information in the manual, you should've been observant enough to notice that the electrical box probably wasn't mounted in a way that would support a fan.

Normally, the law says that for the first such offense, you are required to do what this guy did to himself:

We'll let you slide this time, but you'd better get with the program.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It doesn't. You now know what went wrong and how to fix it pretty easily. Ignore all the self-important a**holes who had no idea how to diagnose or fix your problem.

Reply to
salty

No, not self-important. He didn't really read the instructions. He explicitly asked for the problem he's having now.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 22:55:49 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom" sayd the following:

Yeah, whatever.

Reply to
Crackles McFarly

Yeah whatever go find the instructions and read them. If you can't do that, hire a pro to reinstall the fan the right way.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Would THIS ONE work at all???

Thanks fellas.

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 09:57:48 -0500, Crackles McFarly sayd the following:

Reply to
Crackles McFarly

That's the right idea.

You threw away your instructions, didn't you? :-) C'mon. You can tell us.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yes, that one will work if you have access from above.

There are others made specifically for installations from below if there is no access from above.

Reply to
salty