Ceiling Fan is 'rocking' violently

Page 2 of 2

Yeah whatever go find the instructions and read them. If you can't do that, hire a pro to reinstall the fan the right way.

It doesn't. You now know what went wrong and how to fix it pretty easily. Ignore all the self-important a**holes who had no idea how to diagnose or fix your problem.

No, not self-important. He didn't really read the instructions. He explicitly asked for the problem he's having now.
Crackles McFarly wrote:

What do you mean?
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 15:57:25 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

This fan is made by HUNTER.

You have to differentiate between the minor wobble from a low quality fan, and a really abnormal situation due to bad installation, which seems to be the issue you're having.

At _all_ speeds, and a bit of dust unevenly distributed?
We have a ceiling fan on a 2' drop shaft in a cathedral ceiling. Has been running almost 7x24 since 1984. At certain speeds it shakes a bit. At others it doesn't, so if it shakes, we tweak it. And dusting helps ;-)
Not bad performance. I'd hate to have to replace that thing - 17' up over a brick floor and cast iron woodstove. And not a lot of room to get in a ladder.
--
Chris Lewis,

wrote in message

Honest. No wobble. If you've never owned a Casablanca fan, you don't know what you're missing. I suspect most fan buyers don't own them because they're not sold at the big box stores. You have to make a major effort to open the phone book and find a lighting or electrical specialty store. And, they're not cheap.
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 15:54:58 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

NO wobble is normal or acceptable in a ceiling fan. If your fan is wobbling because of a little dust, then it's either a poor quality fan, or more likely, a deficient installation.
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 15:54:58 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) sayd the following:

The whole fan is wobbling, about 1/2 inch deflection.
The fan has low, med and high. I set it to LOW for now.

I looked at an installation manual at the Hunter site, and sure enough, it doesn't go into enough detail about proper support for the electrical box (although that should've been intuitive). But, the manual mentions a separate booklet that should've come with your fan:
"The location of a ceiling fan and how the fan is attached to the building structure are essential for reliable operation, maximum efficiency, and energy savings. For this reason, we have included a separate booklet - "Guide to Choosing and Preparing a Ceiling Fan Site" - to help you select the best location for your fan. The booklet also provides information to ensure your fan support and electric outlet box meet UL-approved safety codes for ceiling fans. The instructions in this installation manual assume that you have used "Guide to Choosing and Preparing a Ceiling Fan Site" to pick the fan location and make certain the proper fan support and outlet box are installed."
Did you check that booklet? It sounds like it would contain more detail about proper support methods.
If it rocks, it is out of balance and with a poor installation it is tearing itself loose from the ceiling. You need to do two things: 1 - You need to balance the fan, clean it first, if this doesn't work move blades around or add special weights they sell. 2 - You need to fix the anchor so that it is solid and doesn't come apart. There is a lot of info available on how to do this, do some research and fix it before it falls down.

Get almost any electrical book from the library and it points out what products and methods are req'd to isolate the electricity parts form the structrual parts, and how to install them. I believe there may be special products depoending on how/where you want to do this.
-
Would THIS ONE work at all???
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productIds273-427-926&lpage=none
Thanks fellas.
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 09:57:48 -0500, Crackles McFarly

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productIds273-427-926&lpage=none
That's the right idea.
You threw away your instructions, didn't you? :-) C'mon. You can tell us.

Yes, that one will work if you have access from above.
There are others made specifically for installations from below if there is no access from above.