Ceiling Fan is 'rocking' violently

Page 1 of 2
It's not flush with the ceiling, has about 1/8th inch all around. It worked good for 3 months, now it's wobbling like mad.
I don't know much about how to fix or replace the box in the ceiling the fan is attached to.
How much wobble is normal?
How can I fix the fan, box, or both?
thanks

I wouldn't be using that fan until the installation mistakes have been fixed. Ask friends & co-workers if they know an electrician they've been happy with in the past. Electrician because if the installation is mechanically incorrect, there's a good chance the wires may be funny too.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

You should also check to see if the fan blades mounting bolts are all tight.
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 09:57:48 -0500, Crackles McFarly

NO wobble is normal. Sounds like a poorly done installation that is falling apart.
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 15:01:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com sayd the following:

Does it need a new box?
Reason I ask is, the fan is as high as possible on the box, it cannot be moved higher.
I'm the one who installed the fan and it worked perfect for 2.5-3 months, now the wobble.
All the screws are tight.
Would shims around the base to make it tight work or be safe?
thanks to all.
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 10:44:26 -0500, Crackles McFarly

Box? To install a fan, you need more than just the electrical box that would be used for a light fixture. You need braces between the ceiling joists. They sell ceiling fan mounting kits for this. If you have accces from an attic above, it's easier, but it can be done from below if that's all you can get at.
Here's an example:
http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/6742753
If you can't get the fan mounted tight against the ceiling, then you box isn't mounted correctly anyway. Time to remove everything and start over.
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 10:53:19 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com sayd the following:

I suspect the reason the box was never mounted correctly is because it was to hold a simple 110 volt bulb with cover [maybe 3 pounds of weight] as opposed to this very heavy fan.
Thanks and I'll check that URL.

I would be very surprised if the instruction manual didn't mention using a braced box. Take another look at the instructions.
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 11:02:22 -0500, Crackles McFarly

I think we've establishjed what the problem is! That box was never intended to support the loads of a spinning ceiling fan. You'll need to get a proper braced box like the one I gave a link to. You can probaly find one at the same place you bought the fan for $20 or so. At least you already have all the wiring right there, and the fan is assembled, so this whole job shouldn't take more than an hour or two to correct.
I would strongly suggest not using that fan at all until you fix this. It's not safe.

Hey...let him use it. Maybe he wants to be the star of a news story that makes you think "Where do they FIND this stuff???" :-)

A bit of wobble is normal - uneven distribution of dust alone can do it.
However, it's a new installation, and the 1/8" gap is suggestive that it (possibly the box) is working itself loose. Could be common nails in the back of the box slowly getting vibrated out.
I'd keep it shut off until you can diagnose/repair the problem. If the box is working loose, the whole unit might fall down.
Is the bezel moving, or just the fan?
Check that the mounting screws in the bezel are tight. If they are, it's probably the box coming loose. Depending on how it's mounted, a couple of #10 or #12 screws driven through the back of the box may be sufficient.
Code has gotten stricter over ceiling fan mounting. I prefer to use a piece of 2x4 or 2x6 backing screwed between the joists, mounting the box with several heavy wood screws into the backing. A "U channel" of wood with the sides of the box screwed in to the legs is even better. Very heavy fixtures may need additional brackets straddling the tops of the joists with bolts to hold onto the lower bracket.
Some of the prefab metal brackets are fine too, as long as they're solidly attached.
--
Chris Lewis,

....only for a lousy fan. I've lived with 3 Casablanca fans. No wobble.
Run the fan at slow speed until you can get it fixed.
---MIKE---

>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')
---MIKE--- wrote:

I wouldn't run the fan at all till it's fixed.

Shhh!!! Let Darwin do his job!
the following:

There was no need for that comment.

Your fan was supposed to come with a booklet separate from the instructions, which described the structural issues involved with mounting the fan securely. Did you read that booklet?
On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 20:43:50 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

It was a cheap fan and I read everything related to installation.
Why does this make me a bad person?

I don't care what the price was. If a fan falls and hurts a customer, the manufacturer could be out a few million bucks after the lawsuit is settled. I would be very surprised if the instruction manual did NOT contain explicit instructions about how to make sure the electrical box was braced properly.
So, let's assume the manual contained this information, but you ignored it. That *does* make you a bad person. You rushed the job and risked the safety of people in your home. Even without the information in the manual, you should've been observant enough to notice that the electrical box probably wasn't mounted in a way that would support a fan.
Normally, the law says that for the first such offense, you are required to do what this guy did to himself: http://www.geocities.com/tcartz/sacrifice.htm
We'll let you slide this time, but you'd better get with the program.
On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 22:55:49 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Yeah, whatever.