Ceiling Fan Installation

We bought a new one and when my husband removed the base of the old one and reached in to connect the new one, the lights in an adjoining room flickered. (I sure thought he ought to have the juice off to the whole house, but he said "no," he just needed to turn it off to the kitchen.)
He says this is a sign we need to get an electrician to check the wiring.
What say you?
[Yes, yes, we know nothing, but at least I know enough to ask you. One possibility is to have Lowes come install it as that is where we bought it. But I wanted to get your take on it first as you have been so helpful in the past. I was thinking, through the breaker for the whole house, hook it up, and see what happens. No?]
cybercat wrote:

-The fan box and the adjoining room may indeed be on the same circuit. -Wires for another circuit may pass through the fan box. -Loose connection(s) etc.
You probably should go through and map out all the circuits one by one so you know which breaker(s) to turn off. Kevin

I'd vote for B & C.
Even after killing circut that device is on it's always good to wave a non-contact voltage detector around all the wires in the box.
    http://www.builderssquare.com/xp_8558114-Greenlee_Voltage_Detector_Non_Contact_GT_11.aspx
It's not unusual for the ceiling fixtures in kitchens to be a general hub.
Before you proceed further, you might want to see what's on each circuit by opening one CB at a time and see what deosn't work.

The first thing I would is pull all the splices out of the fan box and change all the wirenuts, one at a time, so you are not taking a chance to mix up the wiring. Remember which two sets the fan are connected to and mark them.
cybercat wrote:

Thanks to all for your input. I have to agree, due to our limited *cough* knowledge of such things, we will need an electrician.