Ceiling Fan Hum question?

I just installed a new Hunter Eclipse ceiling fan (

). I installed a 2 switch system with the fan control being a Lutron 3 speed rotary fan control (FSQ-2F). This is a click-stop type rotary fan control (not variable speed). The fan hums pretty noticeably. I kinda doubt it, but would the fan hum less if I used a Hunter rotary fan control (if they make them)? Any other suggestions?

BRN

I originally installed 4 Hunter speed control switches with 4 hunter fans within about 6mos three switches had to be replaced. I've been using Lutron for about 2.5 years since without problems. The 4th hunter switch is still powering the last fan but is feeling very loose. I would not buy Hunter speed control switches again. The Lutron switches I purchased are still working well and do not cause humming.

Good luck,

Noel.

In misc.consumers.house BRN wrote: : I just installed a new Hunter Eclipse ceiling fan ( :

). I installed a 2 switch system with the fan : control being a Lutron 3 speed rotary fan control (FSQ-2F). This is a : click-stop type rotary fan control (not variable speed). The fan hums : pretty noticeably. I kinda doubt it, but would the fan hum less if I used a : Hunter rotary fan control (if they make them)? Any other suggestions?

: B

Reply to
Noel Madrigal

Same thing happened to me bout 2 yrs ago. I went through 3 hunter switches until I contact them via email. Seems they had changed designs not too long ago and it just wasn't enough for the "original" fan I owned. They sent me one of the old types, still going strong.

Reply to
ARTEMUStheAHOLE

Find and eliminate the clicking. On my fan it turned out that one of the pull chains was tapping on the fan body. It happened when on medium, never on low.

Reply to
ryeish

Why do you think the Lutron switch eliminated the humming? I have a Casablanca that I noticed is humming on low speed, seem like it still has the orginal switch.

thanks Tom

Reply to
tflfb

On some hunters there is very little clearance between the lower trim and motor. If trim is not exactly centered motor can sometimes touch an edge and make a click. Loosen screws holding trim and try to center it better.

Reply to
Art

The plastic on one Hnunter switched turned from white to yellow and another the lever snapped off. Replacements were ok though.

Reply to
Art

maybe im talking out my ass, but heres the story as i understand it.

the switches you are using probably use some sort of pulse width modulation. this turns the power on and off very rapidly and the speed of the fan is controlled by altering the amount of 'on' time as compared to the amount of 'off' time (known as the duty cycle). the only downside is that these switch's can sometimes get noisy at low operating speeds. better switches have better noise supression.

randy

Reply to
xrongor