Ceiling Fan -fan switch troubles

Hi, I was hoping someone might be able to help me out. I have a hunter ceiling fan with a seperate fan and light pull chain. My better half pulled the chain out of the fan switch, it was a 3 speed switch high, medium, low & off. I went to the depot and bought a new switch, it was a four wire switch so I bought the same thing. On the old switch, the wires were in the following slots: L = black, 1 = grey, 2 = brown, 3 = green. So, I wired the new switch with the colors into the same numbers. (However, the numbers were in different locations on the switch.) I started the fan and the switch now switches with each pull as high, high, high, low then it repeats. No off or medium. I pulled the switch out and I matched the colors this time to the same location from the old switch, L stayed in the same spot. Reinstalled and it still goes high, high, high, low. Depot doesn't have any other 4 wire switches, so how do I get this thing to work right? Thanks!
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 19:03:26 -0400, "Ron P"

Sounds like the switch is bad.

Gee, I wish I had your problem -- I replaced a fan switch and thought I was careful to move the four wires to the same place on the new switch. But now the fan doesn't work at all!

Does anyone know if the hot lead goes to the L position on the switch?

"L" usually represents line, which is the power in

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:37:15 -0400, "The Streets"

You have the common on the wrong terminal.
The common is black.
The black goes to the "L" terminal.
You can find out what the other speeds are by taking all the wires loose and wire nutting the black to each wire one at a time.
Put the number(or use a color) of the speed on each wire as you check them. The numbers will match the numbers on the switch.
A piece of tape and a marker works
On Tue 22 Apr 2008 04:03:26p, Ron P told us...

Order a replacement from Hunter for the model you have.
--
Wayne Boatwright

Or contact Hunter. Phone or email:
http://www.hunterfan.com/pages/contact_us_form.php