ceiling fan down rod

Someone game me a ceiling fan that has a 24" down rod. I want to install this fan on my front porch but need a standard 3" down rod instead since the ceiling is only eight feet high. All I can find are 12" down rods at the local stores and online. Anyone know where to find one of these?
On Saturday, July 27, 2013 3:25:22 PM UTC-5, badgolferman wrote:

e ceiling is only eight feet high. All I can find are 12" down rods at the local stores and online. Anyone know where to find one of these?
Don't you own a hacksaw????
On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 14:22:35 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

that and a drill
On 07/27/2013 04:25 PM, badgolferman wrote:

do both ends have to be threaded or is one end with a hole through it for a pin? If the latter why not cut short and redrill
Also keep in mind that you'll get better circulation with the 12" downrod than a really short one, but you have to balance that vs. headroom.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Both ends are usually pinned. A threaded connection can unthread.

I've seen some (Hunter?) that are both threaded and pinned, that is why I asked.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I have 2 Hunters and both use the pin to hold the fan up. The threads are not engaged with anything.
On 7/27/2013 7:56 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

fans on the front and rear porches. The front porch fan has a 4 or 5 inch pipe and works very well. On the rear porch, screened in, there is no pipe (at least visible) and the airflow is poor at best. It was installed that way because of ceiling height. The front porch has an additional 8 or 9 inches of height.
badgolferman wrote:

Well, forget it. My front porch ceiling is only 7 feet 3 inches high. Even if I cut the existing pole to 3" I still need 12" for the fan. That's cutting it too close for overhead space.
Next I thought of installing it in my garage since there are old unused light receptacles in the ceiling. There's power going to the wires but they are switched and I want the power to be constant. The box that the wires come out of also isn't secured to the joists so that won't work. I went up in the attic to see if I could work from overhead but the roof slopes down too close and I can't get to it.
It looks like I'm not supposed to use that fan anywhere. Maybe I'll keep it as a replacement for one of the others in the house.