Ceiling Fan Dimmer Switch

What does the red wire connect to?
Thanks,
Cin
--
Newsguy Express Usenet Accounts: 15GB/month at only $9.95!

We have a ceiling fan with a light. The fan works on its own switch. The fan light also works on its own switch. The recessed lights in the room are on a dimmer switch. From the fan there are black, blue, white and ground wires. From the ceiling there are black, blue, white, ground and also a red wire. What does the red wire connect to and under what circumstances? Right now, we hooked it up to the 2 black wires. Is that correct?
Thanks!
Cin
--
Newsguy Express Usenet Accounts: 15GB/month at only $9.95!

Colors are of the installers choosing. I would use red for the light and the black wire for the fan. Just the way I would do it.

I've got a lot of experience with home wiring, but when I have to ask a question like that, I stop and call my electrician.
SQlit is correct, that wire color (other than green, bare, black and white) are of the installer's choosing. They're may be code that specifies which to use when, but why take chances? Anybody can do a PP (piss poor) job with wiring.
When I found a stray red wire, my electrician told me it was carrying 220v to neutral, probably for a second circuit. Had I monkeyed with that, I could have fried a valued gadget. Or myself, because this was on a separate circuit than what I was working on, and still had power.
In my old house, I've seen red, blue, yellow, and brown wiring
Now I use a wireless voltage detector before fooling with anything. They go for ten or twenty bucks at Sears, and flash a light and/or beep when there's power to the line I'm working on. I highly recommend it.
Pagan

Thanks Pagan, I'll pick one up :-)
Cin
--
Newsguy Express Usenet Accounts: 15GB/month at only $9.95!