Ceiling fan controller question

I have purchased 3-speed ceiling fans for my new home. While in Home Depot, I saw a 4-speed wall-mounted fan/light controller. Will this controller work with my 3-speed fans and provide 4-speeds or do I have to buy a 3-speed controller?
Thanks!
It should work fine. It controls the fan speed by controlling the current sent to the motor. You set your fan to its highest speed, and the wall controller takes it from there.