Ceiling Fan Chain Broke Off

As the subject says, the chain broke off of one of my ceiling fans. It broke right where the chain goes into the fan hardware, so there's nothing left on the outside to attach an extension.
Is it possible to fix this? I'm pretty handy, but don't know much about ceiling fans, or electricity.
TIA,
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail) ~~~~~~
"I reserve the absolute right to be smarter today than I was yesterday." -Adlai Stevenson ************************************************* http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com / http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing /
Suzie-Q wrote:

switch off and go to home depot and get a new one for about $3.00.. what you have to do is turn off the electricity(or maybe just the wall switch to kill the juice to the fan???? and then take off the switch.. you use a large paper clip to insert into the opening where the wire is shoved into the switch.. draw a diagram of what the switch looks like and what colored wires goes where so when you have to put the new one in you know where to go with each wire.. the wires just shove into the opening of the switch... then install the new switch with the chain hanging out the side and its finished..... on mine the chain came out the hole in the switch.. i took the switch apart and had to make some screws with the small metal cutting lathe i have and put it back together.... pain i the but for $3.00 part......

Do this BEFORE you remove and unwire the old switch.

NO shit! Really? You don't draw a wiring diagram after everything is taken apart?
Do you have any other wonderfull advice, like "don't run fan on high when dissasembling?"
TCS wrote:

, but there was a time when something were so simple that i did not draw a diagram and then had to go to a parts place and got directed to another one and when coming back to put the part in i could not remember where each wire/part went... i learned the hard way.. had to strart from scratch and know you need a diagram but for someone asking these questions might not relize it until its too late.......

You need a replacement switch. The switch will have 3 - 4 or more wires, so make sure it is wired back the same or it won't run correctly, if at all. Open the enclosure and see how many wires are on the switch before getting a replacement.
Tom J