Ceiling fan: brands?

Page 1 of 2
I want to buy a ceiling fan for a medium-sized bedroom with 8' ceilings.
The brands that SWMBO has looked at on the web include Hunter, Hampton Bay, and Casablanca.
Some advice I've seen on the web and usenet include things like (a) remote controls often break, (b) some intelligent chip thing on Casablancas can burn out in power surges and they won't ship you a new one for free, etc.
I'm asking about the brands now because much of the advice I found is at least a few years old and thus of questionable applicability to fans available now.
TIA,
woger151 wrote:

Yeah. Instead of controlling the fan at the entrance to the room, you get to tear the bedsheets apart, look under the bed and nighttables, behind the bed, and perhaps in several other rooms looking for the remote.
AZ Nomad wrote:

That is a user problem that we never had in 12 years. Perhaps some people are not smart enough to use a remote, for the rest they are very nice.
Lou
on 6/26/2009 12:50 AM (ET) AZ Nomad wrote the following:

Remotes are designed that way. The government requires that remotes be able to move and hide themselves in order for 'couch potatoes' and 'layabouts' get some exercise.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

That's about to change. The democratically controlled congress has declared that "couch potato" is a disease and has set aside billions of dollars from their trillion dollar healthcare reform plan to help couch potatoes find their remotes and wipe their asses.
cm

Late response, but...
I had two ceiling fans installed last year - one Hunter, one HD. (All I could really afford at the time, with the new house). These went into a bedroom and a den, ie spare bedroom in a 50's house that had no overhead lights. For the den, I just had the fan installed with a wall switch to control the power, and use the attached chains for the light and fan controls. For the bedroom, I got the remote control and also a wireless wall switch, that both controlled the receiver in the fan. This has worked well for me - I can control the fan and/or light from the door, and then use the remote to turn the light off. And better yet, if it gets too cool at night, I can turn the fan down without having to get up and stumble to the door or worse try to find the elusive chains in the dark.

I've thought it would be a nice design if there was a wall unit that listened to a remote but a wall unit and a remote that both controlled a box near the fan is OK, too. Where did you get such a setup?
Hampton Bay is a store brand for HD which imports their fans from China.
I bought two fans from a ceiling fan store. They move a lot more air than the HD & Lowe's fans we have. So much so that we never run them on high. The Hampton Bay fan in our master bedroom does not move as much air as a fart.
cm

There's a 20 year old Casablanca fan in my previous house, with electronic wall switch (for speed control), but no remote control. Nothing has broken. I'm about to replace the Hunter fan in my current house with a Casablanca for one reason: The old Casablanca was perfectly balanced (no wobble) and totally silent unless it was turned to high, in which case the predominant sound was just the blades moving through the air. But not the motor.

Same at my house. I'd buy another Casablanca
wrote in message

Casablanca in our bedroom and it's the quietist fan I've ever owned\\not heard.

Hampton Bay is just a trademark of HD, the fans are made by a variety of companies, some are really well made and quite inexpensive, but it is kind of pot luck. Emerson and Minka-Aire are two other companies that make mid grade perfectly good fans as well, and like most of the Hampton bays fans, will typically mount to standard fan support boxes.

How about Monte Carlo, like (Amazon.com product link shortened) ?

How about Monte Carlo, like (Amazon.com product link shortened) ?
I'm not familiar with this brand. It looks like a decent fan, and I really like the up light feature. I've run in to a few that have up lighting, and it's really nice. For $200 you should be able to buy a very good quality, classic design fan, from just about any manufacturer

Illogical, but fun to read.

Why so, pretty much beyond that price range you are paying for fancy controls or styling. Every reputable company that builds classic style , or traditional style fans, will have a good quality fan in that price

RBM wrote:

Key "reputable company."
Your original post said "just about any manufacturer" I bet I can walk into the Orange Colored Store and find a ceiling fan that sells for $200 but is a festering POS.
this isn't limited to ceiling fans, either, pretty much all consumer goods are poor quality crap.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Not a traditional fan . I don't think they even sell a traditional HB in that price range. Hunter is probably the only thing they'd have in a traditional style at that price, and personally, I'm no fan of Hunter, but it would arguably be " a quality fan"
RBM wrote:

just curious, why not a fan (pun intended?) I've installed at least two Hunters in my recent memory and while I knew that they weren't "top of the line" I've had no problems with them. One was installed in my kitchen xmas '07 and has seen a LOT of use since then (as in, it will be turned on to keep the kitchen cool while cooking and then left on continuously until someone notices that it's running) other was in a rental house (long story) so I don't know how that one held up.
nate