Ceiling Fan

I know this may sound a mundane question but I am looking for buying a ceiling fan. This fan needed to be installed on a high ceiling (16' ceiling height) with approx. 450 sq. feet living room.

Local electrican gave me an estimate of $350 to install a fan and he mentioned me that considering the work involved in putting this fan I should go for a high quality ceiling fan.

I liked Emerson Midway II

but I never heard the name of this company? One of the reason I like about this fan is higher pitch. I heard higher the pitch better the air flow. Any insight on this is highly appreciated.

Reply to
c_shah

On Wed 01 Feb 2006 09:49:16a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it c_shah?

It would be hard to go wrong with an Emerson fan. They've been making fans since before the turn of the 20th century. The company was founded in St. Louis, MO in 1890. I have 5 Emerson Botanica fans and they are trouble free.

HTH

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

More air flow and MORE NOISE are directly related.

16' is not all that high. My last house had 20 foot ceilings, and a fan with a light kit. The pendant was about 6 feet long. I installed a remote control on the fan and lights. Rarely ran it on high cause of the noise.
Reply to
SQLit

I've had two cheapo Hampon Bay's from Homo Depot.for about 5 years now. Both work very well, quiet, no problems at all.

Reply to
trader4

$350 sounds like a lot to install a ceiling fan - unless you're totally unfamiliar with basic wiring or you couldn't handle being up on a 16' ladder, I'd say you could do it yourself. You could buy a nice fan at HD for $100-150, buy a nice ladder if you need one, and still come out significantly ahead of the quoted price. I've installed 2 ceiling fans in bedrooms, with maybe 8' ceilings, and they were not difficult jobs, even for a novice diy-er. I think the most important thing is supporting it well - it should be attached directly to a joist or otherwise very securely attached to the ceiling. The fan should come with an instruction manual and hardware, probably with a couple options for attaching to the ceiling, and a couple lengths of down-tube for say

4" and 8" from the ceiling. If it's a vaulted ceiling you'll need to get a longer tube separately. Hope this helps, Andy
Reply to
andynewhouse
  1. snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com "0 sounds like a lot to install a ceiling fan "

A lot depends on what the starting point is. If there is already a box with suitable support, then it does sound high. If there is no box nor wiring in a 16' cathedral ceiling, then it may be about right, or even low, depending on where the power source is.

Reply to
trader4

I have an alternative for emerson it is hampton bay Winward II (I think SKU is 55295 at homedepot.com) and cost only half as that of emerson. I research it in the usenet and I found that hampton bay are ok but not all users are satisfied.

Reply to
c_shah

Larger fan (with same airflow) and MORE NOISE are inversely related.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

That fan is sold at most Home Depots under the Hampton Bay label with lifetime guarantee...EXACTLY the same, but in stainless steel. $149 and yes, it is the Windward II.

Curmudgeon