Ceiling Fan

I have recenly purchased a townhose (around 15 years). The living room has high ceiling (around 16-17 feet) and skylights. I live in Chicago and do you think that installing a ceiling fan will help during the winter (as heat rises)?
I currently do not have any lighting fixture so is there any way to know that there any junction box or electrical connection available on the ceiling to hook up the fan. Few other townhouses (same model as mine) have ceiling fans so I am guessing that I would be able to install a ceiling fan.
Any help will be much appreciated?
c_shah wrote:

A ceiling fan will help bring the warmer air near the ceiling down. Just sit on a ladder near the ceiling on a cold day to feel the difference in the warm air that has risen to the ceiling. If you don't see a box or cover on the ceiling there probably isn't one there. You could run power from a nearby outlet and get a fan with a remote or put a switch in the line running up. Richard in Evanston

Yes, it will help, as long as you pay attention to which direction it's turning.

Do you see an unused electrical box's cover plate on the ceiling? If not, you'll have to install power to the correct place, or hire someone to do it.

I had a home with 20 foot ceilings and paddle fans. I had always heard that you could get heat from the ceiling during the winter. I tried it and all I got was a cool breeze. Not exactly good in the winter.
Sure hope it works better for you.
What to look for when you buy a ceiling fan? Thanks in advance.
What to look for when you buy a ceiling fan? Thanks in advance.

On a 16+ foot ceiling -- remote control.

First of all, look for a brand that can be purchased without a light. Most ceiling fan lights are pretty useless. They often have exposed light bulbs, which create spotty lights and a lot of glare.
You want something that's quiet and well balanced. I've had awful experiences with Hunter fans, although other people have had the opposite. The best fans I've owned were from Casablanca.
If your main purpose in putting in a ceiling fan is the theory that it's going to make a difference in the winter by bringing heat down from the ceiling, I think you will be disappointed. I have one mounted in my family room with a cathedral ceiling. If it makes any difference in the winter, I sure can't tell. The room doesn't feel any warmer. And, as Sqlit pointed out, occasionally you do get a draft from it, that makes it feel colder. And yes, I have it running so the air is drawn upward. If there is any real evidence that this works in the real world, I'd like to see it.
Of course these fans can be great in the summer time.
seeing as heat rises without any help, I would think that it needs to blow the hot air down not suck it up in the winter.

Yep. Works fine here.

Does that mean blowing down works fine or speeding up theupward flow works fine?

A fan moves air, moving air feels cooler. It may or may not help. You dont say what type of heating system you have , temp differential and how well it mixes air now, forced air systems can keep temps very even. Radiator heat may give you hotter ceilings. Get one anyway you are only a few months away from 90f, then it will work guarnteed. Will you save money running it in winter, doughtfull, using a 100 watts 24x7 in chicago is apx 9$ a month.

So, maybe you just run it when you're in a particular room.
I have carrier forced air heating system..this weekend I am going to try sticking a themometer (using a ladder) around 12 feet high and see the what's temp difference between floor and ceiling..do you know who will be able to install it (may be a handyman will be cheaper)..and *roughly* how much it cost to install a ceiling fan?

Hire an electrician. Finding a competent handyman is about as likely as winning the lottery. And no, nobody here can tell you what it will cost. The person doing the work has to look at the house.
"Hire an electrician. Finding a competent handyman is about as likely as winning the lottery. And no, nobody here can tell you what it will cost. The person doing the work has to look at the house. "
Electrician is definitely the way to go. How much it costs depends mostly on how easy it is to run a cable to the spot in your cathedral ceiling. If there is access to the upper end, possibly from an attic area, if there is one, then it can be easy. If it's a cathedral ceiling with no way to access it, then expect to pay a lot more and possibly have to rip open some walls along the way.
Thank you all..
In winter, moving air downward works nicely for me. But, it only works at the lowest speed. More than that and it *does* feel like a draft.