Ceiling connection

I just bought a Keyless plastic lampholder with a socket for a bulb from home depot. The instructions says to only make break knockouts for

3 1/4'' box only. It also has a covered knockouts with smaller size. The 3 1/4 was already 'knocked out' in the sealed bag...so that part is confusing. Anyhow, I bought this with the intention of replacing the old ceiling canopy, that had just room for 2 wires...which incidentally, are both red cables. Isn't that odd? Now how do I know which one is the 'white' wire, if its there at all? There was previously an old, ugly globe fixture hanging from those wires and it did work. No, not one of them is painted white. The old measurement is 4 1/2 where it was being held. I'm trying to install a Y shaped fixture that has flood lights capabilities with the 'screw in' end. That was the only fixture at home depot that came close to what i thought i needed. Any comments especially on those 2 red wires? Thanks
Reply to
noel8

[...]

With a test light and the switch turned on, test between each wire and ground, whichever one give you a light is the hot

Reply to
RBM

HI, I tried what u suggested and it gets no lighting. I also noticed at the switch box, there are 2 black wires ( not one painted white ) and yet there I am able to get a light with the tester. i took a look again at the removed globe that i had put in storage and sure enough the 2 extending wires that were attached to the ceiling red wires, did work.

RBM (remove this) wrote:

Reply to
noel8