Cedar siding, another question...

We just bought a 15 yr old cedar sided house. The wood is in very good condition, except that there are quite a few loose nails. We plan to repaint in the fall and need to know two things. 1. Is it a good idea to use caulking to seal the bottom and sides of the boards were they overlap? 2. Is it OK to use galvanized drywall type screws instead of just re-nailing?
TIA, Rich
possible editing):

Galvanized nails will leave a black streak on cedar. Best to use stainless steel nails.
I don't know about caulking.
-- Larry snipped-for-privacy@lmr.com
I wouldn't use caulk, the boards need room to expand and contract as the moisture content/temp changes. If any moisture were to make it behind the board, you would be sealing it in.
Mike

Don't caulk under the butts of the siding.
Use stainless steel or aluminum nails to renail. No screws.

I am assuming this siding is cedar clapboard?

Yes caulk where the siding meets the corner boards, windows and doors. caulking the bottoms are not necessary.

use stainless steel ring or spiral nails. also you want to check to make sure the "nails" are nailed into a stud. usually the nails that pop are from NOT nailing into a stud. check all your walls before considering painting. It is amazing how many side wallers DO NOT nail into studs. and they call themselves "professionals" :{)
I have had this happen on a previous house I purchased years ago. I had to re-nail 1/2 the houses' siding.