Cedar Siding

I have a synthetic stucco house and am considering recladding the house with cedar siding. Any suggestions on the pros and cons of cedar siding?

Thanks.

IC

Reply to
IC_Clearly

Beautiful appearance. Very durable. It definitely ain't vinyl.

Labor intensive installation. $Pricey$ for top quality. Must be installed over top quality sheathing, moisture barriers. Back priming desireable.

Basic maintenance of top finish is vital for long life. But there are probably many houses out there with cedar siding over a century old. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

It is very expensive and far from maintenance free. Don't even consider it unless you really love it. (sadly, my wife loves it so I have it.)

Reply to
Wade Lippman

Have you checked out the price of good quality cedar siding? If you have a large area to cover, it will be EXPENSIVE. I have a completely cedar sided house (even had cedar gutters) built in the mid 70's and occasionally have to replace a board or two. Not only is the 8 inch bevelled cedar siding hard to come by, it is VERY expensive. And I live in cedar country. There are a few cedar mills right in my area. It also sucks up transparent stain like it cost nothing. If I was building a new house, I would go with brick or vinyl siding. No painting!

Reply to
Loose Cannon

Thanks to all! I think I know the answer now. I sure don't want to go from bad to worse.

IC

Reply to
IC_Clearly