Cedar Shakes over T1-11 Siding

Can I install cedar shakes over T 1-11 siding? We would like to install the shakes over the existing siding. Any hints?
Al wrote:

There shouldn't be any problems AFAIK. You should check with both your insance co and the local building department first. Cedar shakes are banned outright in many places for roofs (I don't know about siding), Many insurance companies won't insure if shakes are used.
Harry K

or if the shakes are to be painted, consider strapping them out. providing an airspace between the shakes and the t 111 will provide a drainage plane and also make any finish you use last longer. at any rate, put a layer of building paper under teh shakes.
Shakes go over a flat surface, is T11 flat or overlaped, cedar is overlaped to hide the nails.

You dont install them over solid decking so they they can dry evenly when they get wet to prevent warping. I also know you can by panels of shakes and you just nail up the whole panel
For siding my house has had Cedar shakes on over siding for 40 years, they are fine. Maybe for a roof you dont install them over decking but maybe its just a cost issue. If you didnt put them over wood new cedar homes would have no wall insulation value
They dont warp either and dry fine over wood sheeting as previous poster misleadingly stated.