Cedar Fencing on Steel Tubing - How'd They Do That?

We have two cedar gates. They are built on a welded 1-1/2" square tubular steel frame. The boards are nailed to the steel! How did they do that? Maybe a cement gun and nails? I need to replace the wood, but don't know how to proceed.

Reply to
Dick

Try prying off the boards, to see exactly how they are attached. They may or may not be nails. If there are holes in the steel, you can reattach boards using self threading screws slightly larger than the holes, such as galv sheetmetal screws.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

Some of the boards are loose. That's why I need to fix it. They look exactly like nails. There are no holes in the steel other than what the "nails" made. I guess I could just cut the nails off, drill new holes, and use metal screws.

Reply to
Dick

The Remington powder-actuated will work, but I've never found a Remington twist or barbed shank fastener...I tried it w/ the replacement truck bed and they worked loose quite quickly--of course a fence doesn't have the vibration so it may work...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Ramset or Hilti powder actuated fastening system. A remington will probably work for that also. They have special barbed pins for these guns that work with metal framing, but regular pins work fine.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Dick-

Are you completely replacing all the wood?

If so I would slightly modify the the design.

I would Tek screw (counter bored for subflush installation) a wood nailer to the steel frame.

Then gun nail (I'd use SS 15 or 16 gage "finish nails") at 45deg alternating to lock the face boards onto the nailers. Bright or even galv fasterners can leave unslightly stains on exposed wood structures.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Thanks. I have to ask what a Tek screw is.

Reply to
Dick

I'll answer my own question. I see what they are now. I think I could use them to directly attach the wood to the steel tubing. Right now I only want to re-attach some boards that have come loose. If I completely rebuild the gate some day, I will consider making the wood sub-frame. Thanks for the idea.

Dick

Reply to
Dick