cedar fence stain

What is a good brand of stain/preservative for a cedar fence? I would like something that would last at least a couple of years. All advice appreciated, thanks. Dave

Reply to
Dave

A.D.C

What are you trying to accomplish by staining the fence? Cedar is naturally resistant to decay and if left alone, it will get darker as the tannins leach out, and then turn to a nice silver gray. If you apply some sort of Cedartone stain, you generally end up with an unnatural orange that has to be continually recoated. Some clear finishes have a UV inhibitor and will help keep the new cedar look a little longer, but again, it's continual maintenance.

Reply to
Ranieri

Penofin Oil is good, Sikkins has many different stains.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Try DEFY, i use it on my wood deck.

Fish

Reply to
fish

Most stains unfortunately last only about 2 years. If you're okay with refinishing every couple of years, fine, but I couldn't imagine doing that. Guess it depends on how much fencing you've got!

Reply to
MrC1