cedar and sealants

I just built a cedar deck, and I've got people trying to sell me sealant. In fact I bought one: an expensive petrochemical that I will probably need to reapply every year.
Here's my question: Do I really need to go down this road? I know my deck is going to turn grey eventually, and that using sealants is just going to slow the process down. Cedar already has mildew resistant properties to begin with -- that's why we use the stuff for decks, right?
If I'm going to pressure wash my deck at least twice a year anyway, and if I don't really care about maintaining the bright coloring, do I really need to start spreading petrochemicals on it?
P.S. I live in rainy Portland OR
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It WILL last longer and look better IMO. I like Sikkens brand, not a film forming sealer like Polyurethane though.
Sounds like you could go 2-3 years between sealing and still be happy. If you want to play it safe, seal most of the deck and leave the steps untreated. Within a few years it will be obvious if you need to continue resealing.