CCW stops robbery...lucky!

Page 2 of 5

That is the cop's mantra, although that is new from my time. Two in body mass, hopefully the heart, one in the head (not face) in case body armor is involved, as it is more and more. In that order.

What matters is where the shot entered,it's angle of entry and exit.
people may get a face shot that just rips up their jaw or teeth and cheek,passes thru.That may be disfiguring and HURT like hell,but not "life- threatening".Even losing an eye is not always "life-threatening'.

A cop could probably get away with a head shot after a disabling double tap,but it's a risk for a civvie.
Encountering robbers with body armor is thankfully,still uncommon.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

no,double tap,then EVALUATE. doing a head shot after a double tap with the threat already neutralized is murder.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

The only thing to evaluate is whether you firearm is still capable of firing. If it is, keep shooting. If not, reload.
Here are the General Orders for a gunfight. Pay particular attention to #10.
1. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns. 2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive 3. Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss. 4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough nor using cover correctly. 5. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movement are preferred.) 6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun. 7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived. 8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running. 9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun. 10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty. 11. Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose. 12. Have a plan. 13. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work. 14. Use cover or concealment as much as possible. 15. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours. 16. Don't drop your guard. 17. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees. 18. Watch their hands. Hands kill. In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them. 19. Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH. 20. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get. 21. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet. 22. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one. 23. Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. 24. Do not attend a gun fight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with a "4."

JC wrote:

I never carry with a live round in the chamber. It's a safety thing. If I have to deploy, I would be racking and removing the safety.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
Dave Bugg wrote:

It depends on what you carry. I have a Kel-Tec P11 in 9mm that has no safety at all and I carry it with one round up the snout. The P11 has about a 10 pound trigger and there's no way you'll ever accidentally pop off a round, even with adrenalin coursing through your system. It will take an active decision to shoot. And even if the pistol were to jam (it doesn't) I know I'd get at least the first round off without incident. And then I have 10 more rounds if I need them....
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Otheres may prefer differently, but I carry sans chambered round with any handgun I use. That's what I prefer. That's also the way I practice when I shoot, so it has become second nature and doesn't slow me down in any real world sense.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
Dave Bugg wrote:

It will if your weapon doesn't return to battery.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Ultra low risk of that ever happening, which is one of the advantages of a wide-open ejection port. My magazines are also kept well maintained, which is usually the culprit for the firearms having such problems.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Did you ever carry a revolver? If yes, did you leave one hole in the cylinder empty?

What purpose would that serve?..........
To increase you odds at Russian roulette?

Read the 2-3 messages before this one. Things will either make sense, or they won't.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I've read them.
Very, very few modern revolvers have striker firing pins. Even those that do have blocks. Modern revolvers have inertial firing pins and no amount of force on the hammer will cause the weapon to fire.

It was demonstrated to me how a double action revolver would not fire unless the trigger went past the first action and the trigger was pulled completely...30 years ago.
Unloaded Weapon: Using a .38 Colt revolver the hammer was cocked and dropped on the table. Even if the hammer did fall forward, the firing pin would not work unless the trigger was pulled.
The same weapon with a pencil inserted into the barrel (eraser first), would not "shoot the pencil out" if the trigger was released at the first action. Pull the trigger all the way back and the firing pin went forward, shooting the pencil out.
I'm stuck on my revolver :)
Oren --
Oren wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 21:56:22 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

to having one chamber empty.

You never saw me suggest there was an advantage to doing that. If you disagree, please point out the text which you believe represents the idea you're suggesting.
And yes, I own two revolvers.

chamber empty. There must be a reason. You mentioned it. Were you being satirical?

Yep.