CCW stops robbery...lucky!

Page 1 of 5
This is a WorldNetDaily printer-friendly version of the article which follows. To view this item online, visit http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_IDY503
Wednesday, January 2, 2008
WEAPONS OF CHOICE Shopper pulls gun, stops robbery cold Held suspect at grocery store until police officers arrived
A grocery store customer in Indianapolis is being credited with halting an armed robbery by pulling his own weapon and pointing it at the assailant until police arrived.
According to a report in the Indianapolis Star, Charlie Merrell, 51, was in a checkout line at a grocery store called Bucks IGA on the city's south side when a "masked man jumped a nearby counter and held a gun on a store employee."
The police report cited by the newspaper said the incident happened at 5:17 in the afternoon Monday as Merrell was doing some year-end shopping.
"While the suspect was demanding cash from the workers," according to the police report, "Merrell pulled his own handgun, pointed it at the robber and ordered him to put down his weapon."
The newspaper noted that Officer Jason Bockting, in his documentation of the incident, said when the suspect seemed to hesitate, "Merrell racked the slide on his gun to load a round in the chamber."
At that point, the report said, "the suspect placed his gun and a bag of cash on the counter, dropping some of the money . the suspect removed his mask and lay on the floor."
Merrill, meanwhile, held the suspect at gunpoint until officers arrived and took him away in handcuffs.
Police reported Merrell had a valid permit to carry the handgun, and they recovered an unloaded .380-caliber handgun and $779 cash from the suspect.
Police records show Dwain Smith, 19, was being held in the Marion County Jail on a bond of $30,000 on initial charges of robbery, criminal confinement, pointing a firearm, battery and carrying a handgun without a license.
------------------------------------------------- Outstanding that the robbery was stopped by a CCW person.
That person needs a bit of instructions on using a weapon for such things.
What was he doing pointing an unloaded weapon at the robber?
Lesson#1 - never point a gun at someone unless you plan to use it.
My first thought when reading this was that everyone there was lucky. Had the robber's gun been loaded I can see an entirely different ending.
Harry K
Harry K
| This is a WorldNetDaily printer-friendly version of the article which | follows. | To view this item online, visit | http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_IDY503 | | Wednesday, January 2, 2008 | | | WEAPONS OF CHOICE | Shopper pulls gun, stops robbery cold | Held suspect at grocery store until police officers arrived | | A grocery store customer in Indianapolis is being credited with | halting | an armed robbery by pulling his own weapon and pointing it at the | assailant until police arrived. | | According to a report in the Indianapolis Star, Charlie Merrell, 51, | was | in a checkout line at a grocery store called Bucks IGA on the city's | south side when a "masked man jumped a nearby counter and held a gun | on | a store employee." | | The police report cited by the newspaper said the incident happened | at | 5:17 in the afternoon Monday as Merrell was doing some year-end | shopping. | | "While the suspect was demanding cash from the workers," according to | the police report, "Merrell pulled his own handgun, pointed it at the | robber and ordered him to put down his weapon." | | The newspaper noted that Officer Jason Bockting, in his documentation | of | the incident, said when the suspect seemed to hesitate, "Merrell | racked | the slide on his gun to load a round in the chamber." | | | At that point, the report said, "the suspect placed his gun and a bag | of | cash on the counter, dropping some of the money . the suspect removed | his mask and lay on the floor." | | | Merrill, meanwhile, held the suspect at gunpoint until officers | arrived | and took him away in handcuffs. | | Police reported Merrell had a valid permit to carry the handgun, and | they recovered an unloaded .380-caliber handgun and $779 cash from | the | suspect. | | Police records show Dwain Smith, 19, was being held in the Marion | County | Jail on a bond of $30,000 on initial charges of robbery, criminal | confinement, pointing a firearm, battery and carrying a handgun | without | a license. | | ------------------------------------------------- | Outstanding that the robbery was stopped by a CCW person. | | That person needs a bit of instructions on using a weapon for such | things. | | What was he doing pointing an unloaded weapon at the robber?
I don't see anything in the article that indicates that his weapon was unloaded. Many times I will rack just to make sure. So, perhaps he ejected one while injecting another. Maybe he racked for effect. Lots of ifs and maybes here. Anyhow, all's well that ends well.

The robber's weapon was unloaded.

That's irrelevant.

Pay attention now, old son(g). From the post it appeared as though the person was confused who had the loaded and/or unloaded gun. I was merely attempting to allay that confusion. Which made the comment overwhelmingly relevant in the conversation (not to mention damn pithy, too).

Quote; The newspaper noted that Officer Jason Bockting, in his documentation of the incident, said when the suspect seemed to hesitate, "Merrell racked the slide on his gun to load a round in the chamber."
endquote
"to load a round in the chamber";not "load another round". Sounds empty to me.
Merrell could easily have been shot while racking the slide. that is an "effect"....not a good one,though.
I would have just shot the robber;2 rounds to the center of body.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

But! Did you kill?
Oren --
Jim Yanik wrote:
SNIP

You might want to think about that. Incident was in Indiana, IIRC, not Texas.

Not a problem. Indiana law allows the use of deadly force not only in self-defense, but in the defense of others also.
--
Regards,

these days,robbers often shoot people *after they have complied*,for no reason,and witnesses or bystanders too.
I'm NOT REQUIRED to act as a police officer and demand they surrender,and it's too big a risk (and STUPID!!) to let THEM have the first shot.
Their drawing and threatening with a gun puts me at risk just as much as the one they are pointing the gun at.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Psst! A Police Officer is not required to act as a police officer.

Case of idiot civilians bitchign about cops use of force.
Spokane, WA last Friday (IIRC) vehicl chase, ends in foot pursuit, perp cornered, pulls gun, gun battle, perp wounded.
No problem? Guess again.
News last night. Big uproar about the 'shoot'. People bitching about whether the deputy fired first. Note that there is NO denial that perp pointed his weapon at the deputy before the fun started.
Guess they think the perp should get a free first shot and return fire is only to be directed at shooting the gun out of his hand.
I shouldn't be by now but I am constantly amazed at how stupid people can be.
Harry K
On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 12:05:13 -0800 (PST), Harry K

Sounds like a Civilian Review Board (CRB) wanting to meddle in police business. In Las Vegas we have a Coroner's Inquest to review shootings by Police. Under Oath.
Note to self:
1) Dead perps don't testify
2) Don't let the facts interfere with a good report
Oren --

I see nothing wrong with a civilian review board.(properly trained/educated) After all,the police DO work for US.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

and not politicized (probably the hardest of the three).

He's lucky he's only wounded and not dead.

I don't think that way.

It's because of MOVIES and TV,crap like the Lethal Weapon series.
there have been a few incidents such as Amadou Diallo in NYC,where the person didn't do anything,yet the police opened up with a hail of gunfire.And to top it off,most of their shots MISSED.
I favor that police have digital cams on their persons to record when their gun is drawn.With a secure memory that they cannot easily alter. The cam could xmit to a HD in the patrol car,or to WiFi link,to save weight.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Indiana is similar, as far as I know. What part do you think would have been different in IN?

When I was doing my quals training as a reserve deputy in the late 70s, unloaded was generally nothing at all in the firearm. Not having a round in the chamber was scoffed at in this context, probably less so in a civilian, but was still considered loaded. Don't know if usage has changed any in the meantime.

Two in the torso, one in the head. You are now safe and the bad guy is now dead.

You know what's funny, though? I've noticed in the news that a lot of people who get shot in the face are described as having non life threatening injuries. Of course, that's all the info we get, so we don't know what caliber they were shot with.
Still, it's strange.